Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this curly top virus?

Posted by nubiegardener none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 9:24

Older leaves are purple underneath and very stiff/leathery. Bottom of the stem is also purple. The older leaves are also much, much darker than new geowth. New growth, however, feel perfectly fine. It doesn't look like the typical curly virus pictures I see online. It also started curling under like this as soon as I began hardening it off in 60-70 degree weather. It would curl after bringing it into the house and then slightly uncurl after being outside. I don't think it's a P deficiency as I regularly feed it with bat guano and ocassionally miracle gro. Any ideas? I water when it's get dry or wilted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this curly top virus?

It doesn't look like Curly Top to me and that virus is only seen in certain parts of the country but when I go to your page all it says it that you're in the US. ( smile)

And no gardening zone is given either.

Carolyn

o

Does this look like anything you've seen? Sorry, I'm in zone 7b

o

I don't see anything wrong with that plant.

o

The lower section of the plant is really curled in.

o

Leaves can curl for one of many reasons. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, going from one temp to another too quickly, and with hybrids many of the varieties normally have curled leaves

Finally, with heavy fruit set, not talking about your plants now, leaves can also curl.

If leaves curl into a tight roll, look for aphids.

Carolyn

o

All the purpling is normal with young seedling and all the curling leaves are normal too for the most part. Google 'tomato leaf roll'.

For future reference, it would be almost 99% impossible for a young plant growing in a cup in potting mix and that has likely spent 90% of it's life indoors to get Curly Top Virus, or any other disease for that matter so relax, ok? :)

Dave

o

I agree. Let it grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here