Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mortgage Lifter

Posted by bassmannate 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 9:58

So, I tried growing this last year and it was wonderful! It produced heavily and the fruit tasted great! The only problem I had was that I left for vacation for a week in June and, when I got back, it was out of control. This was the first year I had so much success with any tomato variety.

My question is how well does this tomato can? I'd like to be able to enjoy them year round. As it stands now, it produced so heavily that my wife and I were able to eat fresh from 3 plants for nearly 6 months!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mortgage Lifter

My question is how well does this tomato can?

Not real sure what you mean since any tomato variety may be canned whole, crushed, juiced, chopped, as sauce, etc. with no problems as long as your follow the canning guidelines. There is nothing unusual about canning ML.

You might want to check into the Harvest forum here as that is where all the home canners hang out.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to can tomatoes

o

Thanks for the link! I'll also take a look in the Harvest forum!

o

That link will help me too. I was afraid to mess up the canning process so I froze some cooked tomatoes one year. It worked well for me.

Karen

o

Posted about the Estler ML on here a few days back. Originated here about 10 miles from Marshall University and it predates the Radiator Charlie. Its my favorite tomato.

o

Mortgage Lifters tend to be a little "meatier" than some tomatoes. They are not so great for making juice, but for any other canning/freezing, they do fine. We do both every year. In fact, we find that freezing is better because you don't have to mess with skinning them - when you go to use them from the freezer the skins will slip right off.

o

Here we go. ML then is a good paste tomato as well.
I have one problem with freezing and that is, it requires too much freezer storage space. So I prefer canning to make sause(like spaghetti sauce, reduce to a third) or thicker paste(reduced maybe to an eight).

o

I'm also a canner - prefer canning to freezing. Also like to can sauce over whole/stewed/crushed tomatoes. ML would be fine.

o

I made some REALLY GOOD sauce last season from a few ML and not much else. Had it over Chicken Parmesian as I recall and it was to die for. They are meaty and wonderful, one of my favs. Would like to try canning this year. Will be my first time, hope I dont kill myself lol Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here