Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_ny

Some of my tomatoes seedlingsâ stems wiltâ¦

daniel_nyc
11 years ago

A few days ago some of my tomatoes seedlingsâ stems started wilting.

What is it, and how can I fix it ?

Comments (8)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Not sure, looks like a scrap.. Watch out or fungus/mold etc, keep the damage dry, keep the moisture down.. A suimple fan does wonders, not only for plant growth, but for diseases as well.

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Raw_Nature.

I also thought of fungus or Fusarium.

And it's not a scrap.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 11:07

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

It doesn't look like Fusarium to me and I don't know where you are in NYS only that NY is part of your user name and knowing where you are helps make a diagnosis since gardening zones from about 7 on LI to about 3 on the Canadian borde exist and some pathogens need different temps to be problems.

There's only room for linking to one direct link, and I want to give you two, both from Cornell, so you can just cut and paste to get to them, one at a time, and then save them to your faves.

Cornell Vegetable MD Online:
    http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...Tom_ComDis.htm

Cornell Tomato Disease Identification Key by Affected Plant Part:
    http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...omLeafKey.html

I;d start with the second one as in IDing by affected plant part.

I don't have time to go fetch my tomato pathology book but the above two are much more detailed and save me from typing.

You didn't mention if there are any other symptoms on the plants in addition to the stem leasions and if so, key those into the plant parts affected as well. Great pictures at both of those links.

Carolyn.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I agree that it looks like it started out as a scrape or injury of some kind that then got infected. Did you happen to prune off a leaf or branch? Could they have rubbed on something - stake, cage, wire, etc.? Any sign of pests? Are they indoors or outside? Did you buy these plants or grow them yourself? If you purchased them they could have been exposed to all sorts of injuries.

Disease-wise it most closely resembles Early Blight of the stem which would be very unusual on indoor plants unless contaminated material was brought indoors.

Dave

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

IâÂÂll try to answer some of your questions:

>I don't know where you areâ¦

IâÂÂm in Long Island.

>You didn't mention if there are any other symptoms on the plants in addition to the stem lesions and if so, key those into the plant parts affected as well.

No, there are no other symptoms. Actually one seedling has some curly leaves, but probably is the variety.

>I agree that it looks like it started out as a scrape or injury of some kind that then got infected.

I start seriously thinking that maybe it started as a scrape or injury.

>Did you happen to prune off a leaf or branch?

I pruned off a few leaves but not close to those wilted area.

>Any sign of pests?

No.

>Are they indoors or outside?

Indoor.

>Did you buy these plants or grow them yourself?

I bought the seedlings.

>If you purchased them they could have been exposed to all sorts of injuries. Could they have rubbed on something - stake, cage, wire, etc.?

Oh, poor plants; over 70 seedlings in a small box on two levels. Packed like sardines. IâÂÂm sure it was a lot of rubbing.

>Disease-wise it most closely resembles Early Blight of the stem which would be very unusual on indoor plants unless contaminated material was brought indoors.

I also thought of Early Blight, which in mid-April would be pretty ⦠early.

IâÂÂll wait 1-2 days to see what will happen.

Tx for your comments. And tx Carolyn for the links. I wanted to make the links live links for others, but I was only able to find this one: Cornell Tomato Disease Identification Key by Affected Plant Part.

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still have no idea what happened to the seedlings.

I believe that in the nursery they ripped the branches⦠DOWNWARD, instead of cutting them with a scissor. Most of the things that happened to the seedlings were where branches were.

Also I'm pretty sure, there was a lot of rubbing in the small box the nursery sent me.

And of course, I thought that maybe a fungus was the culprit, so after a little care - Safer Spray, Copper Fungicide (BONIDE) and Serenade (Disease Control) - everything is ok now.

Currently the tomato seedlings are in my cold frame. Take a look and tell me what you think about my cold frame. ItâÂÂs in the Greenhouses & Garden Structures forum.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 0:32

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Daniel, both Early Blight and Late Blight can happen at any time (though of course the disease organisms must be present). And Southern Blight can happen outside the South.

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you for the info,missingtheobvious.