Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramie_gw

Should I start over again?

ramie
11 years ago

I am new to growing under lights and went ahead and planted my tomatoes too soon. I have moved them from the grow lights to a sunny window. They would be ready to go outside, but I have almost 2 months before I can do that. Should I just start over again and plant new seeds under the lights and them put them out in 2 months? Or would I be able to keep the ones on the window for 2 months. They are 12" tall now.

Comments (5)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Maybe just keep them in big enough pots for a month or so, and then plant them outside with some protection. I'm in central NY, which is not that far from southern Ontario. I put mine outside May 1 with protection. If you are in northern Ontario it might be more of a problem. I'd hate to toss big plants.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I would also start some new ones just in case these don't make it. You clearly have plenty of time to start them. It will be difficult to keep these going that much longer without some major expense in pots, potting mix, and time and effort.

Dave

• ramie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. My guts says plant more, just in case these are not suitable in 2 months time.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Would you be interested in using Wall-O-Waters? I put mine out the other day. I buried them deep in hopes that they don't grow out of the top before the weather stabilizes. If they do, I'll have to cover them on cold days and nights.

• Bets
    11 years ago

Another option would be to take cuttings from your current plants and root them to keep them going. I recommend rooting them in your growing medium that is kept fairly moist until the cuttings have established roots, usually 3 - 5 days. They will wilt at first, but when they perk up again, they have made roots.

I've done this to keep some going that were getting too big indoors when we had weather that turned cold for longer than usual in the spring, and I have propagated extra plants by taking cuttings. (Faster than restarting from seed.)

Betsy