Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frostbittten Tomatoes

Posted by happyhelper 6b Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 10:31

My tomato plants have some cold damage on some of the leaves. Will this stunt them? They were in my garden shed when it turned cold last week. Should I just clip off the damaged leaves and hope for the best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frostbittten Tomatoes

Keep the leaves: there's undamaged area there which can make energy for your plant.

o

Agree. Just leave it alone and protect it from further damage if needed. The overly damaged leaves will eventually fall off on their own.

Dave

o

Thanks very much for your advise. It was 88 degrees yesterday and today has gone down to 44 and may freeze by tomorrow morning. I have brought them all into the house tonight. Tomorrow night will be colder. I am going to be more careful with them from now on.
Helen

o

IMO that looks more like sunburn than frostbite. Did you harden them off? Are you sure there was frost?

o

There wasn't frost but it got down to about 32 or 33 degrees and my garden shed is missing half its roof. Storm last summer blew off half the roof and it hasn't been repaired yet. Your right, it does look like sunburn now that you mention it.
Maybe could be sunburn since the roof isn't all there but the problem seemed to start after that cold night. They almost drowned from the last rain. I think all that water probably took away all the nutrients out of the pot. My poor tomatoes are having a rough start this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here