Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaeli_gw

Any way to grow tomatoes closer together than 2ft?

Yaeli
11 years ago

I read with envy of the most green-eyed kind (especially thinking of fried green tomatoes!) when I read posts on here with people planting 150, 75, even 20 tomato plants --and wonder do you all live on used football pitches?! :)

I've got a small garden space in the back corner of our apartment complex. Spacing my tomato plants two feet apart next to a fence I can trellis them up I've been able to get 7 tomato plants in (although 3 of them may get killed again when the neighbours set up their sukkah hut in the fall for Sucot). I've sort of 'guerrilla' planted 4 more around the yard in odd spots --trust me, my neighbours think I'm odd to plant veggies at all. The ones outside of the 'garden plot' are planted in ground that semi-resembles asphalt. I've been able to improve the soil in the garden spot a lot this past year, though definitely it is paltry compared to the soil I worked with in the U.S.

I've got another 7 tomato seedlings (some cherry toms from seed I started and some much more boisterous mystery toms that volunteered themselves out of the compost pit). I desperately want to grow those seedlings. Given the yield I got last year off 7 cherry toms, I desperately need to grow those plants. Does anyone know of a way to get your tomatoes to grow and thrive if you plant them closer than 2ft apart?

Comments (2)