Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Tomato Disease? pics

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9 (AZ) (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 10:53

Ok, no one get angry at me. I did do a search trying to identify my problem, well my tomato problem that is. The search only confused me further. I'm having an issue with my tomatoes. I have 21 plants in containers, all different varieties. The pots are very large, light colored plastic on a drip system with dried leaves at the base for mulch. Been in the pots almost 2 months already. We've had temps in the 90's lately, nights in the low 60's, but I've been do the finger check to make sure not to over-water them.

The plants were doing great, then about 3 weeks ago my hubby sprayed Weed-B-Gone, some herbicide and it drifted to the plants because within a couple of days the leaves displayed the characteristic whitish yellow centers in the leaves and new blossoms. Beside getting upset I figured there wasn't anything I could do to remedy the damage. Well, now the plants look awful. Their growth is definitely stunted, the bottom leaves are becoming soft, not necessary wilting, but are drying, becoming brittle and dying. I don't see any spots on the leaves, nor do I see any black dots similar to insect droppings. What I have seen is kind of powdery dust on some leaves. The uppermost and I mean uppermost of some look like new healthy growth is coming, but some just seem to be dying a slow death.

I've included photos of leaves and some plants to see if it helps anyone in identifying the problem.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Green Pineapple, tiny plant with tomatoes on it!

Photobucket

Mr. Stripey

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Tomato Disease? pics

Compare your plants to these photos and see if it helps narrow it down.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU - Tomato Leaft Diseases Pics

o

There are several weed b gone products but one of the major ingredients is called, for short, 2,4- D and it looks like your plants have sustained major damage from that. Such contact herbicides don't just stay on the foliage and cause symptoms, they can also be internalized and can kill a tomato plant.

Below I'v elinked to Google IMAGES to show some pictures and there are lots more if you just Google weed b gone tomatoes other than at Google IMAGES.

Glyphosphate is the herbicide that causes the yellowish areas in new areas of leaf growth and glyphosphate is better known as Roundup.

So if it was weed b gone that was used you wouldn't have seen those yellowish areas.

My best guess for the day. And surely others will have other opinions. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: 2,4-D herbicide damage

o

Many of the pictures in the Google Image search clearly are not 2,4-D herbicide damage.

I don't know what it is for sure but a far better place to go than Google images is Cornell University Vegetable MD Online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell University Vegetable MD Online

o

Herbicide damage.

o

This is somewhat unrelated but if your husband was using the weedkiller for a lawn you might encourage him to look for "corn gluten meal" (not plain cornmeal). It is sold at animal feed stores as a protein supplement, for cattle.

The corn gluten is an organic nitrogen fertilizer and it suppresses germination of seeds. It doesn't kill weeds, but it keeps new ones from sprouting from seed. I used to use it where I lived before, but now I can't find anyone who sells it around here. Although I did use it in heavier quantities than usually recommended, a 50 pound bag for a c. 1500 sq ft lawn. It doesn't do anything to clover, since that spreads underground, but I like clover because it feeds the bees and it's pretty. It is really good to prevent all those purple weeds that sprout in early spring before the bermuda greens up (I think it's called henbit?).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here