Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organic insecticide.. can I spray directly on tomatoes?

Posted by ameera z11+ Dubai (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 11:17

Hello, when I first posted when my plants were first planted in their final pots, I was told I had leaf miners on my tomato plants.

I had originally bought an organic pesticide named "pyrol", which is made with natural plant oils.

I sprayed the plant once and then looked up online more about leaf miners and learned that the plant can survive with leaf miners so I didn't spray again.

Now that I have tomatoes on the plants, today I was looking closely and there are tiny black flies on the tomatoes. I will post pics at the end of the post.

they don't think they look like fruit flies to me and they don't look like leaf miner flies. The leaf miner flies that were on my leaves all the time looked like teeny tiny bees (they had yellow and black stripes on their bodies) so I know these are a different type of flies on my tomatoes.

can I spray the tomatoes directly with the insecticide? if its not ok, would spraying the foliage while trying to avoid the tomatoes themselves be enough to deter them?

Photobucket

Photobucket

P.S. this is way off topic but for those who are interested and haven't heard about it, there is a live cam on an eagle nest and so far one egg has hatched and two more to go!

http://raptorresource.org/falcon_cams/index.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organic insecticide.. can I spray directly on tomatoes?

Well I'm no authority, to say the least, on pest problems in Dubai, but as a general rule unless they are doing damage or unless there is a severe infestation then there is no need to do anything.

Most "bugs" in the garden pose no threat but unnecessary spraying of chemicals, no matter the type, does. So seeing some bug doesn't automatically mean you need to drag out the pesticide. You learned that with the leaf miners. :)

It is impossible to tell from the pics what it is. it may be a black winged aphid but it could also be 100 other types of small flies or gnats attracted to the moisture. I wouldn't worry abut it but if you want to spray something then first make sure that pesticide lists it is effective for the pest and then avoid spraying the fruit directly as much as possible.

Dave

o
RE: organic insecticide.. can I spray directly on tomatoes?

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 12:58

Does the lable give any indication of holding times when used on plants for food? If it does it should be safe to use, just be sure to wash the fruits well.

Personally for those little gnats, I'd use an insecticidal soap such as the Safer brand. Failing that you can make your own by using the recipe at this link: Homemade Insecticidal Soap It is pretty darn simple, you just need to make sure you are getting SOAP and not detergent.

I've been keeping an eye on our Perigrine Falcons in Boise, ID for several years now. The Falcons have come back to the nest, but haven't laid any eggs yet.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Boise, Idaho Peregrine Falcon Camera - Live Video Feed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here