Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardennewbie420

will two sprouts in one cup be okay for now

gardennewbie420
10 years ago

So I'm a total newbie to gardening. I've been reading since last year but just started getting hands on. Mind you I'm a total city boy , so excuse any ignorance I have in regards to gardening. Thanks.

So will these two sprouts be ok a little long together until they are big enough to transplant. Don't know if I'm going to stick them in the dirt or pot . The one way off to the side is crooked , but I'm assuming because its so close the cups wall.

Comments (10)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

You don't say where you are, but those are too small to stick in the ground right now. They could be OK for a couple more weeks but they'd be happier if you just took the larger crooked one near the side (use a spoon or a popsicle stick to lever it out, hold it by the non-serrated leaves to steady it, not the toothed true leaves or the stem) and transfer it to another cup with your potting mix.

I'm assuming they were started in that cup and haven't got really deep roots yet. Putting the larger one that's squished against the side into its own cup ASAP will give both time to grow without competing for nutrients or getting their roots all tangled together.

BTW, why did you cut the rim off the cup? I also hope it's got drainage holes in the bottom - easier to do that before you fill it with mix.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Separate them into individual pots before the roots become heavily entangled.

Dave

• gardennewbie420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. Ajsmama what do you mean "you don't say where you are" ? And I will transfer the bigger one today. Using the soon method you suggest. I cut the cup because the potting mix was low and the sprout was getting to much shade from the cup rim. And I slit many holes in the bottom.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

garden....you can add you zone to your profile and it will appear next to your name, makes things much easier, especially on a garden forum. It's amazing how many people don't identify their zone.

Ajs...you don't say where you are either ;-)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

She means you don't include your location or garden zone in your posts. You just say "none". But then she doesn't include the info either like the rest of us do.

There is a box provided specifically for that info on each post or you can add it to your profile page and it gets added automatically to every post.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Sorry, I haven't added it automatically, I do put it manually when I am asking a question and it's needed, but the OP didn't. So I don't know when he might be planting out.

Anyway, hope you got the answer you needed.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Takes maybe 20 sec. to add it permanently then you don't have to worry about it. Click Member Pages, click Edit Member details, scroll to Garden Zone and fill it in, click Save..

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Found it under Profile at the top of the page. They wouldn't update without adding my birthday so I made one up (I just turned 33 by the way). I don't give out that kind of info even if they have an option not to display it.

It does look like it added the zone now, though apparently you can delete it from each post.

• gardennewbie420
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha. Ok ?! I left none on purpose. But transplant done. Looks beautiful! Used a spoon. No rough abnormal jerking. Just right down the side , and i gradually lifted. Making sure to notice shifting soil. As to know where the root ball was. I'll post pics later. Have a feeling they will be ok-with some TLC. I make nice Dixie cup containers. I use that because I care for seedlings indoors at night. Easy to arrange so far. And dollar store item. Go figure.

• Moorlord
    10 years ago

two sprouts one cup? *stifle*

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6