Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Placement of Greenhouse/Sun requirements

Posted by eyeone1999 z6 Mass (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 11:47

I am attempting to grow Big Boy and Sweetie cherry tomatoes in a new "pop up" greenhouse that I just bought. I had to place the greenhouse in an area that will only get about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight a day. Although it is bright in the greenhouse, the sunrays are filtered through the opaque plastic covering. I started the plants from seed, under lights and have just moved them into the greenhouse this week. They are about 2 feet tall. Will they get sufficient sun in the greenhouse or will I need to move them out each day into the yard for direct sunrays? In other words, will tomatoes do well from just the bright light or do they need more actual sunrays until I can get them planted? I won't be able to plant them into the ground for about six more weeks here in zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Placement of Greenhouse/Sun requirements

Which pop-up did you get? I'm building a greenhouse at the moment, from a kit, and will shortly have the same question you posted. Sorry I don't have experience to share, but am interested in the replies you get.

o
RE: Placement of Greenhouse/Sun requirements

I got the Flower House FHSP300 SpringHouse Greenhouse. It is advertised to be able to fit two 6 foot tables in the greenhouse, but I've found that I can't zipper it closed because the table fits too tight from front to back. So, I have one 6' table and a card table in there along with a ceramic heater and a fan. It was very easy to put up - just shake it open and it actually popped up quite easily. The poles were easy to assemble too, it probably took about 20 minutes to assemble in all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here