Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northernmn

Purple leaves on my little tomato plants

northernmn
11 years ago

I'm in zone 3/4 so my tomatoes are still in 4-pack containers and only about 4" high. They look very healthy except for purpleish leaves that are still on most of the plants. Day temps under the lights are 70 to 75 but the night temps can drop down to 55 degrees. Knowing low phosphorous can also cause purple leaves, they have been getting dissovled mircle grow and some dissovled phosphorous.

Is there anything else that can be causing purple? The lights have been on them 22 hours a day. Could that cause problems? The lights are also my heat source for the plants.

Comments (4)

• galiana
    11 years ago

This is a very common happenstance with small tomato plants. The general consensus as I understand it is that some purple color is normal in small plants, and normally it goes away once the plants are finally planted out.

Be careful about putting too much fertilizer on the tomatoes in an attempt to get rid of the purple. While they might not be absorbing much phosphorus now because the night temperatures are low, once the temperatures rise and all that phosphorus is in the soil, they may cook.

If the plants look otherwise healthy, it's best to leave them alone and allow them to do their thing until they're ready to be planted out.

This post was edited by galiana on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:53

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree. Common and normal. Lots of discussions here about it.

Over-feeding them is much more of a threat. Feeding just encourages more top growth and the root development is already having trouble supporting the top growth. At this stage it is root development that is important, not top growth.

Dave

• northernmn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both. I'll go back to watering with warmed up snow melt (65 to 70 degrees) that has no fertilizer in it. The potting mix has a very low content of fertilizer.

I'm hoping to switch to rain water by next week !

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Yes, the most common cause of purple leaves and stems is lack of P, but fertilizing the plants directly via the roots isn't going to help. What you need to do is to spray the foliage, which avoids root uptake, which is the problem.

You can use dilute blue stuff, like MG or Peters and the like or use a few drops of liquid concentrated fish or seaweed emulsion in some water.

I don't do anything b'c I know that the plants will grow out of it, but for many, just the sight of those purple plants is cause for concern.

Spraying the foliage works, and it will green up the plants, but only b/c you're bypassing root uptake, which is the major problem and it's worse if the temps are too low and temps alone can also do it.

Carolyn