Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcpyburn

Tomato leaves got bit by frost, should I replant?

jcpyburn
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I planted my tomatoes early this year to see if covering them would work for me. Things were going great and I covered them when I needed to and they were growing fast. Then the last time which is probably our last freeze of the year (of course) when i covered them I didn't notice two small holes in the cover on one end. Of course the cold air got in and it killed all of the leaves on half of my plants. The main stems are still green and look alive but most have no living leaves. It has been one week today and there are no new leaves.

My question is should I wait longer to see if they come back since they are larger plants or would it be better to replant with the smaller replacement tomatoes that I have in my cold frame. Here in west Texas it is a race against the heat to get your tomatoes to set before summer so I just need some opinions on what would do best. These are yellow pear, romas, one super sweet 100, and one mortgage lifter.

Thanks!!

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It is hard to say for sure without seeing the plants. From your description it doesn't sound too hopeful.

So for me the question becomes the time lost while waiting to see if they recover or not and if they do getting back into good growth and production. That could be a few weeks. That same time can be spent growing and hopefully getting fruit set before the real heat arrives if you replace them now.

It's a trade off either way. If it were me I'd probably replace the very worst appearing ones now and give a couple of the lesser damaged ones - if any - a chance. That way you have that knowledge to use in the future.

Plus nothing says they all have to be planted at the same time so you can always replace those "test subjects" later if needed.

Dave

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is kind of what I was thinking. Of course it would be the tomatoes that I was wanting the most of!! I can post pictures if it would help but they are pretty much only the main vine with nothing else.

Thanks for the advice!

Carly

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Another option if possible is to take cutting off them if there is any of it in decent shape abd riit them for replacements.

Dave

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't really think that there is anything that I can take a cutting of Lol! I went out this morning and replanted the worst of them and just put in a couple of extra plants of the ones I wanted most so hopefully that will give me as much as I am wanting.

I did however keep the three best looking ones that actually had new leaves coming out to compare and see how they would do. Thanks for your help Dave, I really appreciate it!!!

All that's left to do now is just cross my fingers, water, watch and wait!!

Carly

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I would suggest replanting with something that is not so stressed. Even if they started to pull through somehow they would be a pest magnet. Also they would probably not get a chance to set fruit before the heat wave hits.

I know it is not fun. I lost only one plant with this last minor frost. In truth the plant was still hanging on. The problem was branches, and leaves started dying off quickly. It was just starting to recover from the damage caused by a hail storm a few weeks ago. I also have replanted twice this year. Frost killed off my plants two times since the first week of March. Last frost date here was supposed to be Mar. 15.

I bought transplants. I have some that I started from seed too late. Though I am going to plant them out as well. I have them for back up. The plant I yanked is now replaced by one of my Black Krim plants I hardened off.

I covered everything I could with anything I had. The plants in my 4 foot by 4 foot raised bed were too big to cover with buckets, or pots so I used bamboo poles, and clear plastic. I opened it up the next day, shook off the condensation. I covered things back up that night due to a projected dip to the mid 30's.

I noticed one of the Better Bush plants had brown spots all over it. I gave it three days. The leaves were turning all brown so I pulled it. It was a shame as it already had 3 fruit set, and more blooms open before the cold snap.

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is almost exactly what happened to me! If it hadn't been for those holes in the plastic they would have all been fine! i have a long 20 ft double row of tomatoes and everything on one end is perfectly fine like nothing happened but the other end, oh boy!!

I planted my tomatoes from seed too late as well so I have plenty of backups but they are not nearly as big as my ones in the ground which I purchased as transplants. I hope they catch up quickly. This is my first year trying to cover instead of planting after the last freeze date. I think it is definitely the way to go and I am for sure going to do it again but I will make sure there are no holes!!

How many weeks before your last frost date do you usually put your tomatoes in the ground? I put mine in about a month before. I didn't know if any earlier would be ok. How low of a temp does the covering protect the tomatoes to? I wish I had more gardening people from around my area to ask questions of because Texas is so unique weather wise in a lot of ways!!

Thanks for answering!

Carly

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

How many weeks before your last frost date do you usually put your tomatoes in the ground? I put mine in about a month before

WoW that is risky. Even under cover. Standard recommendation is 10-14 days AFTER last frost date, not before. Sure we all try to push the envelope a bit but here a month before last frost date we are still heating the greenhouses with all the plants in them, not putting plants in the fields.

I'll push it a week or so under the low tunnels in the field but no more than that. Lost too many plants over the years or had them stunted by too early exposure to cold to risk it.

Dave

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well our weather here in West Texas is very unique. Our winters especially after the first of the year is usually warmer and springlike except for occassional cold fronts. For example this year, after I planted my tomatoes we only actually had one freeze. The lowest the temps had gotten the rest of the time was actually only 37 degrees and that for only an hour or so. My zone is technically 7b but I have found in my experience that where I live is more like 8.

Our last average freeze date here is April 15th and if I waited until May 1 to plant I would not ever get tomatoes. It just gets too hot here too fast. We are already heading into 90 degree days right now and May we can often times have days up into the 100's, sometimes a week in a row.

Pretty much all of the fruit that I am going to get until fall is going to have to set in April or May, so that is why I was trying to plant early and cover. It seems to have worked well, except for those stupid holes, Lol! Everything else sailed through the freeze and is growing like crazy!

Carly

• seysonn
    9 years ago

All I can say is that Texas has crazy weather. It gets scorching hot in the summer and bone freezing cold in the winter.
    That Texas panhandle is something else. has open trade with Canada and Mexico. lol

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I totally agree! A very common saying around here if someone complains about the weather is "Don't worry just stick around and it will change in fifteen minutes!"

It can be very challenging for a gardener!!

Carly

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    9 years ago

I had volunteer tomato seedlings that were frost burned back to surface of the ground in April. Didn't really care. Ignored them. I just noticed that one of them is thriving.