Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyledlin

beautiful plants: no tomatoes. what's up?

Kyle Lindley
10 years ago

For 2 consecutive years now I have grown beautiful, healthy plants that have nice color, an abundance of flowering, lots of sun (6-7 hrs) with absolutely zero success of tomatoes. Can anyone help me determine where I'm making mistakes. I am not over watering, used a small amount of Miracle Grow once and now at my wits end.

Comments (4)

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

That's depressing, daddyo. What varieties are you growing?

When you say "absolutely zero success of tomatoes," does that mean zero fruitset? Or some other problem?

Are you growing in the ground, in containers, or in a greenhouse?

When did you plant? What are your daily high temperatures?

Besides the Miracle Grow, what have you done to amend the soil in the last 24 months? Or if you're growing in containers, what mix are you using?

• Kyle Lindley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm growing in a 45 gallon tree container with a mix of pro bedding mix, some black Texas dirt and some Miracle Grow potting mix.. Can't remember the varieties but think one may be BetterBoy and the other I'm not sure. I've got two plants of two varieties in the container along with an amount of sweet allyssum.. Average temps haven't been too warm, 70's one day, 48 at night a few days (once last week 36) and the last few days into 80's. Wild swings with temperature. I planted early March because a lack of freezing temps and protected
    with cold nights. Plant grouping is now close to 36" high and 24" wide with maybe 10/12 clusters of yellow flowers throughout. I'm a beginner so any help is appreciated.

This post was edited by daddyo68 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 13:08

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

beautiful, healthy plants that have nice color, an abundance of flowering, lots of sun (6-7 hrs) with absolutely zero success of tomatoes.

That type of description usually sets off one alarm bell for many of us - excessive nitrogen. High levels of N triggers big beautiful healthy dark green plants with little to no fruit set.

Tells us about your soil and what may have been added to it. Also define "small amount of Miracle Grow" specifically.

The other possible explanation is 'blossom drop' a condition that is primarily air and tem and humidity related (but is also triggered by high N levels). See the FAQ on it below and let us know how your weather has been - average day and night temps and humidity levels.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

• Kyle Lindley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MGrow potting soil may be the culprit......it may have been a fortified variety. I don't think that it has anything to do with blossom drop because I can still see older blossoms lower and deeper in the center of plants. OK, so if it is a high N situation, is there anything I can do like 1) adjust it, or 2) wait it out, or 3) yank the plants and start over?