Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinabanana

problem with seedlings

tinabanana
10 years ago

we still have snow on the ground here in canada, and my seedlings are not doing very well.

it seems back when i first started gardening, not knowing what i was doing, it was easier then now, maybe im trying too hard?

i got some nice neon grow lights, making sure to keep the plants as close to the bulb without touching. but my plants just arent doing that well it seems. the stems are super thick and solid, but i have almost no leaves. also the color on my leaves is very dark green.

my mom brought me some of her plants this weekend. she's got very minimal lighting, her plants are leggy and falling over, but beautiful bright green leaves. see pictures, 3 of the nice tall ones are hers, the rest are mine.

im using seeding soil and watering with melted snow water since i had a hard time last year too, and we had a water softener installed. I did over water a bit but cut back.
i started my plants in the bigger pots they are now. did not fertilize
after a few days under the grow lights, my moms plants are already sturdier and getting thicker.

any idea what is going on??

This post was edited by tinabanana on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 13:00

Comments (17)

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

That's odd! Are your light bulbs old? Are you growing them in a cold basement? What kind of soil?

My lights are in my basement and it's only around 50 degrees, but I am able to bring my seedlings upstairs during the day and put them on a sunny windowsill. Now that I have too many seedlings for them all to go under the lights, I notice that the ones that don't get the cold treatment are taller...

Linda

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the bulbs are not old, this is the second year im using them.
    i dont think they are too cold, they are in front of the patio door getting sun most of the day, on top of the lights. i keep the house at 22c in the day and 20c at night. so 70-73f.

soil is seed starting miracle grow. i dont like anything miracle grow but it was the only seed soil i found.

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

That is baffling. Do you remember what light bulbs you have? It used to be recommended to use one cool and one daylight, but now it seems that people prefer the "daylight" ones.

I don't like MG either, but at least it has some nutrients in it. The only other thing I can think of is chlorinated water. If you have it, do you let it sit for a few hours before watering?

Linda

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should have re-read your message again before responding. Do you warm up the snow water before watering the seedlings?

Linda

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

they are 6400k bulbs, these are the lights here

http://www.amazon.com/EnviroGro-2Ft-Tube-Fixture-Bulbs-FLT22/dp/B0031CA3OM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1398519910&sr=8-13&keywords=grow+lights+hydrofarm++2

yes the 'snow' water is a few days old before i use it. completely room temperature.

i think its the light....my broccoli's color is looking really dark and unhealthy as well. the only thing that looks good is the salad.

is 6400k what is recommended?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

they are in front of the patio door getting sun most of the day, on top of the lights.

Do you mean in addition to the lights or really "on top of the lights"? Sitting on top of the light? That will cook the roots if that is what you mean.

Since you are using a T5 fixture, they put put out far more heat and light intensity so they shouldn't sit as close to the plants as the old T12 fixtures did. Instead keep it 6-8" above the plants.

Paper pots encourage over-watering since they dry out so quickly. Personally I would transplant the plants into plastic pots like your mom's - much better moisture control. And feed them.

Dave

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the shelve is in front of the patio door, in addition to the t5 being really close to the plants. maybe too close from what your saying.

the bulbs are 24w.

maybe i will ditch the paper pots, they just seam like a good way to transplant.

i had a look at the plants again, and my leaves are really weird. they are small and all curled up. instead of nice and flat like my moms. i posted more pics

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Interesting what Dave says about paper pots. I used them too, along with the last of my peat pots, one small plastic pot and one small plastic yoghurt container. I noticed that the seedlings in the two plastic containers did better than the ones in the newspaper or peat pots and I thought I had kept them well-watered. So much for recycling newspaper!

Linda

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The yellow leaves and curled/twisted leaves in your last pic are typical of over-watered plants.

Dave

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i know i over watered, funny how you forget from one year to the next. as well, i was away on vacation for a week, so i put water in the bottom of the tray and had some one stop by mid week to add more water. they seemed pretty good when i got back, actually a bit better then when i left!

so this is the 3rd week of less water, do you think they will recover?

i transplanted all the plants to new plastic pots, buried to their necks in MG seed mix. Positive thing, the roots on all my plants are crazy big. the roots on my moms plant were almost non existent.

as well another possible problem i noticed when transplanting, i never opened the new MG seed mix, i was being cheap and using up the last of my plain potting mix.

ill keep you guys posted! thanks for the feedback.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I have killed seedlings by overfertilizing. I notice in your OP that you mentioned fertilizing???

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i mentioned NOT fertilized.

one more question. i have not used it, but does anyone use softened water? i always avoided using it....excess salt,...iduno??

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for updating us.

How interesting that the roots on your plants were better than the roots on your mother's plants! I bet they will take off now that you have transplanted them into the enriched potting mix!

I use softened water on my seedlings and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Linda

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

OK, sorry, did not see any punctuation after 'did not fertilize.' I read it, 'did not fertilize after a few days under the grow lights.'

• tinabanana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i cant believe it but all my tomato plants look amazing already! all the leaves have uncurled, they have a nice bright green and they are just beautiful!

i left a few things in paper and peat pots and sure enough they are sooo dry compared to everything in plastic.

you guys are great on here!