Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it ok to mix foliar treatment solutions?

Posted by ladon SoCal 10A (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 12:46

I have a few different products that I use to keep my plants free from disease and pests, which I apply as foliar sprays. I also do foliar feedings as the season progresses. I keep them on a rotation so as to increase effectiveness, but it's a bit of a pain to keep track of when I've done each and to transfer the solutions from their storage containers to the one sprayer that I use. I'm wondering if it's ever ok to mix these products just for convenience sake. Currently, here's what I am using:

A mix of Actinovate and Excel LG (fungicide)
Bonide Copper Fungicide
Safer Caterpillar Killer (BT)
Neptune's Harvest (kelp/fish emulsion food)
Can any of you more experienced gardeners give me some feedback on this?

Much appreciated,
Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it ok to mix foliar treatment solutions?

Mix together? Generally no. Negates the benefits of each in many cases plus possible chemical interactions.

Alternate them? Sure, per label directions on timing.

A simple calendar with dates and names solves one problem and using separate, labeled sprayers for each chemical is always recommended anyway.

Dave

o

Separate sprayers for each? That's a lot of sprayers....I don't really have a lot of room for storage...they're pretty big (about a gallon each). Is it ok to rinse out the sprayer and hose, and just alternate the solution as needed?
Don

o

s it ok to rinse out the sprayer and hose, and just alternate the solution as needed?

Yeah, with great care since many of them contain emulsifiers and oils so a quick rinse and dump with cold water doesn't cut it,

But just ask the gardener who didn't get it rinsed well and ended up spraying herbicide along with the fertilizer if having only one sprayer is enough.

At the very least separate marked sprayers for fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides to avoid cross contamination can prevent a lot of grief.

Switch to hose-end sprayers. They are small, easy to store, and cheap.

Dave

o

go to three sprayers, one for weed killer, one for fungicide and one for pest killers. You can use either of the ones that aren't weed killer for fertilizer. But don't use the weed killer one for anything but weeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here