Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone planting tomatoes outside in zone 7A (Brooklyn NY)?

Posted by dssguy99 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 12:56

I got a few 9 packs at home depot the other day when they had their "50% off sale". I spend $3.00 on 18 plants so Im not overly worried if they dont make it...Im wondering if I should just plant them to see what will happen. Should I just keep them in the 9 pack containers for a little longer? I currently have them in a mini greenhouse keeping them warm overnight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone planting tomatoes outside in zone 7A (Brooklyn NY)?

I'm in 7A, but in SC. Mine have been planted in the ground for 2 weeks and are doing great, but it hasn't been below 50 at night in about 6 weeks. We have actually had some day's get above 90, weird weather.

I have some in homemade 5 gallon "earthtainers" that I planted over a month ago and left outside. They are blooming!

o

Actually I checked and Im in zone 7B. NOAA is predeicting temps in the lower 40s overnight for the next week or so... . I dont think that would kill them though.

o

It's still a bit early to get those into the ground. Hold off at least two weeks. This is an oddball year for weather and it's not the norm. After five or six more years of this mildness then you could likely to be safe to get those maters into the ground in early April.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here