Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
meaty tomatoes

Posted by joeworm 9 n fl (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 12:56

What is a good meaty slicing tomato? Looking for something that will make a good sandwich.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: meaty tomatoes

Goliath, Beefy Boy, German pink, Beefmaster, Parks Whopper Improved, are the first that come to mind.

o

Almost any heart variety has dense flesh, outstanding taste and few seeds. I can name some if you wish.

You didn't indicate a color so I'll stick to just a few reds and pinks.

Reds:
Neves Azorean Red
Coustralee
Red Penna
Aker's West Virginia
Red Brandywinwe, as long as you get true seeds
Box Car Willie
Ludmilla's Red Plum
Zogola
Russian Bogatyr

... to name a few and all are OP, but not are all heirlooms.

Pinks

Hoy
Large Pink Bulgarian
Omar's Lebanese
Soldacki
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Gogosha
Sandul Moldovan
Tidwell German

..... all are OP heirlooms.

Seed sources and pictures can be found at Tania's website, for most of them and probably all of them.

Link Below.

If you scroll down on the Home page you'll find a link to searching for varieties by variety name and I think that's the place to start.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Sources

o

Thanks.

Hard to believe the variety of tomatoes available!!!

o

Why not grow the original classic ~ Beefsteak! It's the only tomato my Mom ever grew and I have very fond summer memories of making tomato sandwiches everyday for lunch with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here