Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan2010_gw

Snowball

susan2010
13 years ago

Every season I get some free seeds with my order from Tomato Fest, usually one I've never heard of. This year it's Snowball. Has anyone grown it? I'm wondering what to expect. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• gardenman101
    13 years ago

What is it other then snowball? Ive seen plenty of plants with a subclass with the name snowball, such ass a white eggplant, a almost white tomato, a white marigold all called snowball?

• susan2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry. Tomato forum, I assumed folks would know I meant a tomato variety.

• carolyn137
    13 years ago

Susan, any time you want to know more about a variety a good place to go is Tania's Tomato data base and I've linked to the page on Snowball below. Unfortunately there aren't too many reviews of it and I know the person whose review is first and I know him well enough to note that he didn't think much of it.

She features way over 3,000 varieties, most with pictures and more reviews and where histories are available, those too. And she also sells seeds. If you go from the page I linked to to the upper left and click on HOME, when there you can learn more about the site.I look for varieties the alpha betical way, and there's a link for that on that home page.

In earlier SSE YEarbooks there were quite a few folks who listed it but in the 2010 YEarbook only one person does, which should say something.

If no one here has grown it then you can Google it and come up with some others who have and see their opinions of it.

While I've grown lots of so called white varieties, which aren't white, there are only a few that I think have some taste to them, and now I'm talking about the larger sized ones such as Snowball. Other than that I consider them to be novelty varieties and best used to make a white sauce to use on white pasta, which always gets a few comments. LOL

Yes, I'm opinionated but the older I get the more opinionated I become. ( wink)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowball

• susan2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info and the link, Carolyn. Very helpful. It's not necessarily a variety I would have chosen, but for free I'm willing to give it a try. I must say that as the seasons go on, it seems like I'm growing more not-red varieties. I give my extra starts away to friends, coworkers, and neighbors, and last spring one friend asked me if I didn't start red tomatoes, since, unintentionally, I'd given her only non-reds. Oops!

• gardenman101
    13 years ago

Yea sorry about that Susan, I thought I was in the Vegitable forum, instead of the tomato forum....lol. Tried to post when I relised, but wouldnt let me do 2 in a row.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

gardenman all you have to do to post another is change one character in the "Subject of Posting" box. Example REE instead of RE.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

and change it all together.

• gardenman101
    13 years ago

Thanks Taz, I am always learning. Now if I could only find the post on how to post my photo's...lol

• taz6122
    13 years ago

There's directions on the top of this thread.
    Post Your 2011 Tomato Pictures, Part 2

You can do it the way catman describes or you can copy the HTML code next to your picture and post it here.

Sorry guys. Don't mean to hijack this thread.

• gardenman101
    13 years ago

Susan, let us know how your trial go's with the Snowball tomatos, id be intrested in all the results as in how hard to grow, any problems when fruit set in and how they tasted. Also pictures if you can, Im limited to only 16 plants and allready have verieties in mind, but am up for more if they grow good for you. We are pretty much in the same zone (not sure area) so your tests would prove very benificial for me, Thanks Susan

• susan2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will try to remember to post about them. Feel free to remind me if I do!

• cziga
    10 years ago

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I was googling "Snowball" and it seems that there are some places that think that Snowball and White Beauty are the same tomato. Is that true?

Is it a small cherry tomato, or a large tomato?

I'm finding a lot of conflicting info :(

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

My mother grew snowball back in the 40's. I tried it here in Georgia about 2000. Did not seem the same as the one my mother grew. Produced small tennis ball size tomatoes. Good as any almost white tomato that I have grown but pretty bland. Mostly a novelty in my opinion. Shumway pushed it back in the olden days.