Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ablindhog

Rozovyi Myod "Siberian Pink Honey"

ABlindHog
11 years ago

I have been looking for a large tomato that is early enough to be productive in my relatively short spring season. I came across Rozovyi Myod "Siberian Pink Honey" tomatoes at a site that makes some pretty fantastic claims about them, including very large fruit "many over 2 pounds" and very early maturity "48 days from transplant". Anyone have any experience with these?

Comments (14)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Lots of people have had experience with it and there are several places selling it, but itshouldn't be called Siberian Pink Honey ( see the link below), just Pink Honey as a thread elsewhere discussed it and the Russian speaking persons agreed as well as at least one of the places offering the seeds for sale.

Some places call it a beefsteak, others a heart. I offered it in my annual seed offer elsewhere last year, Jan of 2012, and lots of folks got it that way or buying from commercial vendors.

I'm not too sure I'd call it early, and I'm not so sure I'd put the weight that high, since there are many variables that go in to both taste as well as size and all tied up with weather in any season.

Below I've linked to Tania's page for it. And if you click on seed availability at the top of the page you'll see that three places are listing it for 2013 and there's another vendor that's doing so as well, but I can't remember the name right now.

BTW, what is your definition of early in terms of days to maturity which are guesstimates at best. ( smile)

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Honey

• ABlindHog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carolyn, Thank you for the link, I suspected claims made about this tomato were exaggerations in this case. I probably pay a little to much attention to days to maturity. The average last frost date here is April 1st to10th, and regular daytime temperatures are well above 95 degrees by about July 1st to 10th. This leaves between 80 and 100 productive days. I tend to think of an early tomato as one that is regularly referred to as 65 days or less, and a late one as 80 or more days. With a season potentially as short as 80 days I believe that late tomatoes would be nearly pointless. Even mid season tomatoes need to be varieties that are particularly productive under heat stress to get my attention.

• kellyst
    11 years ago

I grew it last year and thought it was a great tomato. Full flavored and sweet. Very productive and produced all season long. It was not as early as advertised - i would call it mid-early. I didn't have any 2 pounders either - though a couple were over a pound.

I'm in zone 6A

This post was edited by kellyst on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 8:13

• ABlindHog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Kellyst
    Would you please tell me what zone you grew them in ?

• linzelu100
    11 years ago

I am pretty sure Double Helix Farms is selling it. I was looking at buying it this year, but didn't end up doing so.

Lindsey

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Yes, Steve at Double Helix is selling seeds as isMike at Ohio Heilooms and Baker Creek, from the Google search below.

I went back up to my link from Tania's website and found, as already noted elsewhere that her Wiki software crashed, but should be back up by tomorrow she said.

I wanted to look at Tania's link b'c I thought I remembered there were a couple of other places in addition to those above that were selling seeds.

On the first Google page there are two pictures of it from Steve W's Double Helix site.

Carolyn

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Tatiana's is up already.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I know. I just got through watching restaurant Impossible and came back here to the computer and it was back up but running rather slowly righ tnow.

So linked to it again and when one checks for seed availability there were three places, I don't know the Delectation one place, and Mike of Ohio Heirlooms I'm pretty sure, althoughI didn't check,well I did just check via Google and yes, he's listing it,

He agreed to take the Siberian part off the name but I see it's still there and you need to look for it under the translated name of Rozovyi Myod and good price as well

http://www.shop.ohioheirloomseeds.com/main.sc

Carolyn

• gunnarsk
    10 years ago

I sowed Honey Bunch, neither "Siberian" nor "pink", I assume the colour is somewhat like honey, ie. yellow or orange, and my information on size says "golf ball", which I take to mean saladette. Of course I can contact my seed source, which I probably will.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Gunnar, I don't have the time right now to confirm that Honey Bunch is NOT the same as Pink Honey, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not.

Myod, which means honey, is part of the name of several varieties and speaks to taste, not color. But I'll check out your Honey Bunch one when I have time.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Gunnar, below is a link to a Google search for Honey Bunch and you can see that it's nothing like Pink Honey.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Bunch variety

• gunnarsk
    10 years ago

I did a google search for "Honey Bunch", but found little of interest. I'll probably peruse Tania's database (in transcription it might be "med" instead of "myod"). The original description also says "orange" and "from Russia", but "Siberia" is not in the name.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

ABlindHog - have you considered planting earlier under protection to extend your season. It works for many of us in the warmer climates, even warmer than mine, that have to 'beat the heat'. With something as simple as WOWs you can gain 2-3 weeks earlier planting times which gets you good fruit set on many varieties. And with a small low tunnel even more time is gained.

Plus keep in mind that even on those days that reach 100 degrees it isn't that hot early in the morning so some blossom flicking and cage rattling in the early AM can also help with fruit set even through the hot summer.

I just hate to see anyone stuck growing only the early (60 day DTM) varieties.

Dave