Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happened, please?

Posted by VivVarble 8B (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 13:16

I was out walking the garden this morning and came upon this. It wasn't like this yesterday. Found no other affected leaves or tomatoes. It is a red currant cherry tomato plant. Any ideas or information would be much appreciated.

~Viv

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happened, please?

Here is another red currant cherry tom that is in a 5 gallon bucket away from the others. I haven't the slightest idea what it has all over the leaves. I have since picked off every affected leaf and discarded in the trash since I didn't know what it was. 3 days prior to this photo I sprayed everything in the garden with neem oil in the recommended dosage. It is looking better, mostly naked without all those leaves. Any ideas?

~Viv

o

About the second problem, I think it is a fungal problem. I would spray the plant with Daconil, per recommendation on the bottle. ( I have concentrate and mix ONE tsp per gallon).

I think I have a similar problem with just ONE of my tomato plants and that is the ONLY one that I have bought from HD. The rest of them are home grown from seed and do not have that symptom.

It can/may also be a nutrient deficiency. But I am not sure.

o

I second the Daconil. Spray weekly. It won't make the already-brownish leaves better (you did the right thing, taking them off), but it does help at least slow down the progression of the fungus.

On your current tomato, I'm not for sure, but it actually looks more like slug damage. Was it still on the plant or had it fallen off?

Edie

o

Slugs usually rasp or scrape... that looks like worm (caterpillar) damage.

o

These toms were started from seeds indoors as were the basil and marigolds in the same bed. Is the daconil organic? Is there something else I could use, compost tea perhaps, if it is fungal?That is all I'm using thus the neem oil that I sprayed. I haven't seen any slugs and I've been looking, I do have caterpillars and grasshoppers though. The tomato was still attached to the plant and I removed it. I appreciate the replies, thank you.

~Viv

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here