Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiofem

Wall 'o Waters and hardening off

I'm planning to use Wall 'o Waters for the first time this year. I'm growing mostly long season beefsteak type heirlooms in large smart pots. In the past, I usually waited until the third or fourth week of May to plant outside. Although our last frost date is around May 1, it is not unusual to have frost after that, and I didn't begin hardening off until the 10-day forecast predicted night temps no lower than 45F. Last year my late plant out date meant my plants hadn't started setting fruit by time a heat wave started in late June, and I didn't get any ripe tomatoes until late July.

Our 10-day forecast includes many nights in the 30s, lots of rain and day temps lower than normal. I am wondering if I need to follow the same hardening off procedure I have in the past (taking 7-10 days) or if I can speed that up. I will be putting the WoWs out soon to hopefully warm up the soil. I do have at least one or two extra plants for each one I plan to put outside, so I do have back ups. But I want to get outside soon since some of my plants are getting close to 10 inches tall and the growing area is getting crowded.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has used WoWs or other methods for pushing the start of the season. If our weather this year were anything like it has been in the past few years, I'd be more confident about starting so early.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES