Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshallkey

Hardening Tomatoes

Marshallkey
10 years ago

My first success at growing from seed. I had tried growing from seed a couple of times by putting them in a south window years ago , of course with no success. Leggy plants that finally fell over and collasped.
Newly retired I decided this year I had the time to invest in proper seed starting, with lights. I have accessed all the information I could from this and other sites. It has been a great help.
I started seeds a little early for here in zone 6 so I gave them a lot of light and kept the heat out around 60 so they wouldn't get away from me. Alot of them ( the majority) look healthy but are only about 2 in tall and have there second set of true leaves.
Today I transplanted several to 8oz cups with Organic Jiffy seed starting mix and 20% sterilized compost. I did this outside as It is 67deg and cloudy.
My question is how long can one leave them out on a cloudy warm ( 65 - 70 deg. day.
And oh by the way I have some pics of some Black Krims that I started 2 wks after all the others that I started in a mix of 20% sterilized compost. The others were all started inThe Organic Jiify seed starting mix. The Black Krims dwarf all the other plants ( probably 10 times bigger by total size. I just tried this as an experiment to see if there would be a difference as most of the info I read said it is a no-no to add compost . Just wondering too if anybody else starts with compost added ?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner