Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low-Acid Tomatoes?

Posted by rivkadr SoCal (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 13:42

I'm on a medical diet where the only kinds of tomatoes I can eat are homegrown "low acid" tomatoes. I have no clue what kinds of tomatoes are low acid, and my doctor has no idea either. Anyone got any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low-Acid Tomatoes?

Jet Star and Ace 55 have a pH that requires addition of acid (vinegar or lemon juice) to safely home can even when full ripe.

The pH differences between "low(er) acid" Jet Star or Ace 55 and other "full acid" tomatoes is very slight however.

o
Acid Content of Some Heirlooms

Click on this link: Korney's Acid Test and scroll down the page until you see a chart provided by Korney showing the Brix and pH measured in some common heirloom type tomatoes.

o

And you can see from Mark Korney's chart that there's really no major difference in acidity with those shown and if you were to go Googling you wouldn't find anything much different.

But so often at some seed sites you'll see this or that variety still being said to be low acid b'c for years many assumed that especially the pastel colored varieties did have low acid.

Not true. They have about the same acidity as others, it's just that a higher sugar concentration masks that normal acidity so they appear to be lo acid when eaten.

I wonder why your MD said only homegrown and while it's not my place to ask why the suggestion to eat only lo acid tomatoes, I would assume that there are other items normally eaten that are more acid ( as determined by actual pH values) than tomatoes.

Carolyn, who notes that taste perception is one thing but a pH meter is quite another.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 15:58

rivkadr

Who told you to eat only "low-acid" tomatoes? A physician?

There really aren't any "low-acid" tomatoes except a very few that others may mention or list, and the difference is so slight, I really wonder if it even matters. Take a look at Korney's list. Just eat fewer of those you really like if they're higher-acid than the others!

o

Thanks for the information, guys. The homegrown low-acid requirement is from ic-network.com (for sufferers of interstitial cystitis); my doctor is having me follow their diet recommendations. They're really just general guidelines; some people have issues with some foods and not others, but in general, we're supposed to avoid tomatoes. The food list does say that we can eat the homegrown low-acid ones, but it sounds like maybe the folks at ic-network don't know what they're talking about in that regard...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here