Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miracle Spray?

Posted by ncrealestateguy 7b (finerhomesofcharlotte@gmail.com) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 14:02

I was told of this spray a while back but have yet to try it. I am going to give it a shot this year. I have been sworn to that it works wonders for the most common tomato diseases...

Per Gallon of water:
1 heaping tablespoon baking soda (about 2 tablespoons)
1 light tablespoon chlorox
1 light tablespoon Murphys Oil Soap

I will buy some test plants soon and spray them just to be sure it does not have any ill affects.

This post was edited by ncrealestateguy on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 14:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miracle Spray?

What diseases SPECIFICALLY is it effective on?

Sounds like one of those home brews for Powdery Mildew and similar. It Is worth testing to make sure that FIRSTLY it won't kill your plant.

o

She told me it prevents all blight.
Anyone try something similar?

o

She told me it prevents all blight.

Pardon a bit of skepticism - ok a lot of skepticism - but if that was even possibly true then the commercial tomato industry is wasting millions of dollars annually on research and has been for decades..

There are at least 50 home remedy recipes out there that someone swears will prevent all blight. Yet somehow none of them ever seem to be able to hold up to testing.

Dave

o

Well, since the commercial sprays do not work too well, I may as well give it a try.

o

There are at least 3 tomato diseases with "blight" in the name. They are entirely different and unrelated diseases.

In addition, some folks use "blight" when referring to other tomato diseases ... or all tomato leaf diseases ... or even all diseases affecting tomatoes. And some use "blight" to describe non-disease conditions which affect tomatoes: for example, leaf miners, sunburn, or herbicide damage.

Any time someone uses the term "blight" generically, you should just assume they don't know what they're talking about.

Well, since the commercial sprays do not work too well, I may as well give it a try.

When I was younger, I grew tomatoes in the Chicago area for 8 summers. The only disease I saw was one summer when one of the plants had Septoria Leaf Spot. I never used any spray. Just lucky.

So keep in mind that if your plants are free of any particular disease this summer, that doesn't mean the spray had anything to do with it.

o

I have been growing tomatoes here in Charlotte, NC for 12 years and have never had a disease free year. Some years are worse than others. If I can grow tomatoes disease free this year with this spray, then it would be pretty obvious.
I do not really think it will do much either, but then again nothing much else works either. Daconil and Mancozeb will delay disease for a while, but sooner than later it gives in too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here