Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Tomato ?

Posted by mewhee 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:17

Hi All (and hopefully Edymnion) -

In one of the current threads re: tomatoes you'll never grow again, the OP Edymnion said as an aside:

"All the while the blue tomatoes right next to it were churning out bucket fulls of black golfball sized tomatoes."

Edymnion, out of curiosity (always looking for something different) do you have the name of the tomato or might anyone else know? Possibly Indigo Rose?

TIA for any thoughts -

Will and the Fur Crew on So Cal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Tomato ?

OSU blue would be my hunch.

o

That would be P20 from OSU. This is the first year Indigo Rose was available to the public. I'm not sure if it's actually P20 (I would guess it is, but I know very little about breeding tomatoes!).
I'm growing it & while no fruit of course yet, it's a very very vigorous plant!

o

Indigo Rose is a single plant selection from the highly diverse population that was bred by OSU and known as P20. There was an earlier escape from the breeding program that was known as OSU Blue. In my experience, OSU Blue has less anthocyanin than P20 and P20 has less than Indigo Rose.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here