Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do some of my tomatoes have flowers?

Posted by JJK2_4 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 14:19

Some of my tomatoe plants have little yellow flowers on them and the others do not.

Does this just depends on the type of tomatoe plant this is? Or does this mean they are fixing to start making tomatoes?

The ones with flowers on them are the ones I bought as babies and have grown quite a bit recently.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do some of my tomatoes have flowers?

Tomato blossoms are what become tomatoes.

Dave

o

Is that for all tomatoes?

o

This is true of all tomatoes.

o

Tomatoes are just one of the many fruiting vegetables. Like squash, peppers, eggplants, melons, pumpkins, etc. if there are no blooms and if the blooms don't get pollinated then you get no fruit.

I'm curious, how did you think tomato plants made tomatoes?

Dave

o

Yes, all tomatoes come from pollinated flowers. Some types of tomatoes produce flowers very early in life while others produce them later. Not all flowers will become tomatoes, but most will if conditions are good.

o

An interesting fact is that tomatoes have been considered a vegatable for years when they are actually a FRUIT. Just like oranges, apples, pears, and cherries (to name a few), the trees will produce blooms which will become pollinated and then the bloom will be replaced with a small fruit that grows to the maturity of those we see in grocery stores and our gardens.

Tomatoes (and peppers) are self pollinating. That means the pollen in already there inside the bloom. To achieve pollination, the bloom has only to be vibrated or shaken. This dislodges some of the pollen. This vibrating/shaking usually happens in the garden with wind, buzzing beas, or us tomato growers walking thru the garden and gently shaking the blooms.

Ted

o

Fruit and Vegetable

Here is a link that might be useful: This might help

o

Great link, tylenol.

I particularly enjoyed "Knowledge is to know that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is to know not to put one in a fruit salad."

Though perhaps the devotees of fruity tomato varieties might question the fruit salad advice....

o

Since tomatoes are fruit couldn't ketchup be considered a smoothie?

o

For ketchup to be a smoothie, I think you'd have to mix it with ice.

Rather than ketchup, I think I'd prefer a Campbell's tomato juice smoothie.

o

• Posted by bets z6A ID (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 3:35

LOL! @ buzzsaw8

Betsy

o

Let me tell ya 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here