Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes, Squash & Pie Pmupkins

Posted by tombug 5b N Central Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 14:20

I have a 6ft by 16ft plot that I am planning to put 10 to 12 tomatoes in on about 32 inch spacing. I would also like to get a few squash and pie pumpkins in somewhere.

Can I put a squash or pie pumpkin in between the tomatos?

Has anyone tried this before?

Anyone know of any problems with compatability?

Or I am just trying to stuff too much into a small plot?

Any comments appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes, Squash & Pie Pmupkins

Honestly it sounds over-crowded to me. Plus since it is 6' wide you'll need an access path in there somewhere. Over-crowding can lead to all sorts of disease and pest problems.

But the two big problems that jump out at me are 1) squash bugs infesting the tomatoes and 2) all the vines climbing the tomato cages/stakes, either pulling them over or smothering the tomato plants.

Consider bush varieties of squash in a container away from the tomatoes and the pumpkins off one end where the vines can run out onto the yard rather than toward the tomato plants.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o
RE: Tomatoes, Squash & Pie Pmupkins

I've grown a pumpkin vine through my tomatoes before. You do have to keep an eye on it so you can stop it from climbing the tomato plants, but I managed to keep mine pretty much on the ground between the cages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here