Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergardener_gw

What are you favorite grape and cherry tomatoes?

FlowerGardener
11 years ago

I have grown Juliet grape tomato and Sungold cherry tomato with good results. Would like to try some others so post which ones you like.

Comments (16)

• FlowerGardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave those links have lots of info.

• carolync1
    11 years ago

A little sparse on grape tomato recommendations in the threads above. I grew Burpee's Napa Grape one year, and it maintained its taste into cool fall weather better than most of the varieties which still survived. Chocolate Cherry was also nice in the fall (picked with green shoulders), though I wasn't overly impressed by it in summer.

Ildi is recommended for fall storage (cut trusses and hang them in a cool place before frost). Golden Honey Bunch and Tami G are grapes recommended by someone trusted by many on this forum.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    10 years ago

Am I that someone, LOL???
    Seeds of Golden Honey Bunch are hard to find, I bought mine at Stoke's. I have tried almost all the red gapes that are out there, and Tami-G is top of my list. PLANTS of Tami-G are actually showing up at our local Lowe's, from Bonnie seeds under the name of "Bonnie's Best Tami-G". Sugary is also fabulous and always on my permanent list, as are Green Grape and Black Cherry. I like Sweet Million Better than Sweet 100. And Sungold, of course, is always the first tomato to be planted at my house.

Carla in Sac

• keski
    10 years ago

My favorite is Chocolate Cherry, available from Livingston Seed and Totally Tomatoes. Everyone I've given plants to, adores them. They are great slow roasted and marinated.
    Keski

• carolync1
    10 years ago

You're the one, Carla. It would be convenient if (red) Honey Bunch Grape were also one of your favorites. Would be easy to remember. "Sweet" with a little honey flavor and "early" seem to be the primary descriptors of the red one. I think there's also a (red) Honey Bunch cherry, just to make things a little more challenging. Is Golden Honey Bunch special for something other than sweetness?

I'm going to be trying some small tomatoes (larger than cherries) in the next couple of years, so maybe I can return with some meaningful Valley recommendations someday.

This post was edited by carolync1 on Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:09

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Black Cherry

• sautesmom Sacramento
    10 years ago

I also like Golden Honey Bunch because it pumps out the tomatoes until frost. Apparently Territorial is also selling seeds AND plants this year, this link has a photo of the "bunch"

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/11633/403

• tdscpa
    10 years ago

Cherry: Black Cherry
    Grape: Sprite.

• FlowerGardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I have decided on the following for this year that were available from local garden centers as plants. Red pearl grape and the following cherry sungold, sweet 'n' neat yellow dwarf and sweet million.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

Sungold
    Sweet 100s
    Isis Candy
    Black Cherry
    Little Lucky
    Rose Quartz
    Jaune Flamme (Kind of oval shaped. Perhaps a bit big to be called a Cherry, but produces like it was a cherry.)
    Green Zebra (Also a bit big to be a cherry, but definitely elongated/oval and quite productive.)

This post was edited by fcivish on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 1:46

• michelliot
    10 years ago

Sungold, if you have the room and can eat them fast enough. I still have golden tomato sauce from last years harvest because I had to do something with them.

Elliot

• christacharlene
    10 years ago

I love Tommy Toes and Sunsugar. I tried Sungold but I still prefer sunsugar. They taste very similar but I think that Sungold has a thicker skin...not something that I care for. Next year I think I might try Black Cherry.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have grown some in the past. I guess they were just generic. This year I have 4 different kinds. But I have to wait to find out which one is my favorite. lol

• bobincentralMA
    10 years ago

Hi, well ...size doesn't matter. They may be small but they pack a punch and are delicious and addictive ~ try Matt's Wild Cherry. A micro small one but you'll be eating half of what you pick along the way. Heavy producer. I went from growing one to four plants this year as everyone loved them too. Peace

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

bump

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County