Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afbq

Containers for Tomatoes, how small is too small?

afbq
14 years ago

Bigger is better, this I know (!), but what is the smallest container I can plant my tomatoes and still get good results? I have a 14 inch ceramic pot and several 16 inch plastic pots (from home depot).

I have 2 mystery tomatoes (one was big, beefsteak like, one was med. round), 1 "patio" tomato, Better Boys and a Mr. Stripey.

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Linked some previous discussions on container size below. I think you'll find that 5 gallons is the smallest recommend. Personally I won't use any that small so I wouldn't use any of the sizes you have listed. I much prefer and have much better results with a minimum of 10 gallon size, especially since most of your varieties listed are indeterminate type plants (Patio is the exception).

Maintaining proper soil moisture levels and nutrient levels in a container are challenging enough without adding a small container size to the mix. ;)

JMO

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Container size discussions

• afbq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Dave. That's very helpful, 10 gal.

I'm going to put myself out there and say that when it comes to measurements, I don't have a clue. How many gallons are the sizes I listed? Smaller than 5? They seemed big to me! :) Maybe I'll use them for my herbs, or other veggies??

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Most pots are marked, often on the bottom, how many quarts of potting soil they hold. It depends on the shape and depth to a large degree but an average height, 20" diameter pot holds approx. 5-6 gallons of mix.

5 gallon plastic buckets with holes in the bottom are used by some growers using a drip irrigation and feeding system. Also search 'Earthtainer" here for lots of photos on how to make your own self-watering containers for tomatoes.

Dave

• afbq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got it! Thank you Soo much! I've seen pictures of Earth boxes and buckets w/ the self watering systems and they are very cool. I might just try to make one. :)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Beware that the nursery industry lies...

Uhhh, gee thanks. :(

But, "lies", no. That is an unfair statement. Dry gallons and liquid gallons aren't the same amount. 1 gallon, dry = 1.1636 gallons, liquid

So what you are seeing in the nursery industry is a liquid gallon label since that is the U.S. Customary usage but which actually hold the equivalent dry gallon measurement of a dry material like potting soil.

A 5 gallon nursery pot will hold 5 gallons of water (if you plug up the drain holes) it just won't hold 5 gallons of potting soil.

A 5 gallon paint bucket (liquid) = 4.3 dry gallons. Or approx. 4 dry gallons of soil if not filled to the rim.

Dave

• robeb
    14 years ago

If you grow indeterminate plants in a 5 gal bucket, one problem is that when they start getting tall a strong gust of wind can easily tip them over.

I'd use something with a wider bottom for stability and more room for root growth.

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

Here are some standard nursery size containers. Notice the soda can at lower right for reference.

{{gwi:1316579}}

The dimensions are:

Width x Height
    25 gallon = 24 in x 18 in
    15 gallon = 18.25 x 16
    7 gallon = 14 x 12
    5 gallon = 12 x 11
    3 gallon = 10.7 x 9.25
    2 gallon = 8.5 x 8.5
    1 gallon = 7.5 x 6.5

• tracydr
    14 years ago

Not sure about the other varieties. The Patio should be fine. My Mr. Stripey tomato is trying to take over my garden!! He's gigantic!!

• VallyOfTheWind
    10 years ago

http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-maven/posts/1620-how-to-make-an-upside-down-tomato-planter

Companion Planting basil, carrots, and borage in the top can help with pests

Here is a link that might be useful: curbly

This post was edited by VallyOfTheWind on Thu, May 2, 13 at 16:12

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

^Those upside down planters are gimmicky; I don't think any serious tomato grower would use one.

I've always had better success growing tomatoes in-ground. My container planted ones DO produce, but not nearly as prolifically.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It is definitely more attractive than the Topsy Turvey things and it likely holds more potting mix than they do too. Since Chello is a determinate variety it might do okay for awhile until it gets root bound.

Good luck with it.

Dave

• afbq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since I first posted this question in 2010 I have moved to a house with a big huge garden with plenty of space for veggies. No topsy turveys for me. :)

• pasco
    10 years ago

I have a couple big gardens myself and still enjoy growing some in pots.
    Indeterminate's...25gal. nursery pots work well for me, you can use smaller but need to feed and water more. I like some time to myself. lol

This post was edited by pasco on Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:05

• daniel_nyc
    10 years ago

I had BAD experiences with those 5 gl. buckets from Home Depot: short, thin plants, no fruits. Maybe I over-watered, maybe I made too few holes at the bottom of the bucket, maybe the soil was not fluffy enough, maybe⦠Anyway, IâÂÂm not going to use those buckets anymore.

I had EXCELLENT results with BIG

like this one - the bigger, the better. Probably because they are biggerâ¦

So, everything will go in the ground, where ALWAYS everything was fine.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County