Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zucchini_gw

latest start

zucchini
10 years ago

well this will be the latest that I start my tomatoes..
Last year was such a bad year that I have hardly any seeds, but I do have seeds from 2005,6-7-8-and on to 11...so will start some of each. (All heirloom)...
I will be away for about 5 days in early May so a bit skeptical about starting them now and leaving them once they are under lights...but I may just do it..it could take a week for them to germinate anyway...and I can leave enough water to keep them not too wet.
Hope to start about 70 seeds (that's less than usual)..
My plant out date is usually after June 1st. But there is so much snow out there now I can't imagine that June 1st will be OK..

Will write a list of what I plant once they are started.
I once had 32 varieties, but now it is about 17..I give away many of my plants..may try to sell some if it works this year.

cheers to all, Martha Zucchini

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Martha, so good to see you back posting. See the crocuses that decorate this site? You're one who usually appears when the crocuses and daffodils start blooming,

We've had a few warm days here buti t isn'/t going to last and yes, still snow on the ground in places where the sun doesn't hit, And that includes where my containers and grow bags are out back where Freda takes care of stuff planted out there since I no longer can do so with this walker,

A local young man will be starting just a few plants for me and I'm giving him the seeds this weekend, Mostly small ones for snacking and a few larger ones, almost all from new seeds that have been sent to me.

It's now three years in a row that the tomatoes have not done well, so fingers crossed that this year will be different,

Carolyn

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

You're not alone in a late start, I got my Sand Hill seeds (ordered late) the beginning of the week but first DD got sick then I did so those won't be started until Sat.

• ddsack
    10 years ago

I started my main batch March 31st and April 2nd, which is just about at the tail end of my normal sowing time. We still have a lot of snow on the ground, but the temps are finally supposed to get in the 40's and 50's this week so hope it melts fast so the ground gets some sun to start warming up. I'll have to shovel snow off my raised beds to put in early spinach and lettuce and try to set up my plastic hoop frames. I'm also hoping the night temps will stay above 25 degrees in a couple of weeks, because I don't trust my overnight greenhouse heater much lower that that. It's not too bad carrying in a few trays overnight, but after I pot up it's too hard on my knees to traipse up and down my steep hill to my greenhouse fifteen or twenty times. I started around 65 varieties or selections, most from 4-6 seeds each, but about 1/4 of those are 8 to 10 year old seed, so not expecting all to germinate.

It's always a mad rush to get plants in the ground by the first week of June, especially when the weather is cool with near frost nights. We have annual reservations for a week long fishing trip on my husband's birthday the 2nd week of June, and I have no one reliable to fuss with pot bound seedlings that need daily watering by that time, so they have to go in the ground and hope for the best. I've had some cukes with frost damage, but have lucked out with tomatoes in recent years. I can only hope that once the weather finally warms up we will be back to a hotter than normal summer pattern, like the last 10 years have been here.

• zucchini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not looked here since I posted last...that was April 3rd..today is April 14..still have not started any seeds yet.
    I plan on starting the oldest ones on the 27th..as I am going away until May 5th..that should give them a chance to germinate..then I start the others..very very late for me..
    But..the snow is just melting and we are expecting some more snow tomorrow!! I can't even plant my peas as the garden is
    thick with snow and ice under the snow is like rock..
    So a late season with patience..
    Good to read your posts Carolyn..
    cheers to all ;-> Martha/zucchini