Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_d_gw

Tomatoes and peppers in the same bed?

jen_d
14 years ago

Hi, everyone. This is my first year of gardening, so I have a TON of questions.

We got a spot in out community garden and are building raised beds so I would like to use my space as efficiently as possible. I also plan on practicing crop rotation so that makes things even trickier.

I've been reading that tomatoes and peppers are in the same "family" and should be planted under similar conditions. However, I haven't seen anything saying I can plant them in the same bed. I'd like to try to plant some tomatoes with bell and sweet peppers, but figured I'd ask in case it won't work!

The bottom 1/3 of each bed is steer manure compost, the other 2/3rds is garden soil with another thin layer of compost on top.

Comments (15)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

They should grow fine together. I grew tomatoes with tabasco and jalapeno peppers in the same bed last year. Got great production.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sure no problems.

The bottom 1/3 of each bed is steer manure compost, the other 2/3rds is garden soil with another thin layer of compost on top.

I assume you plant to till/mix up the layers together before planting, right?

Dave

• jen_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*pause* See, told you I was new! I was not going to mix them together other than how they would mix once I dug out the holes to put the plants in. Would that be sufficient or do I need to go back and mix the entire bed?

• bigdaddyj
    14 years ago

They grow great together!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I would plant tomatoes on the far North/northeast and pepprs on
    the south/southwest part. The reason, tomatoes will grow bigger and
    much taller than peppers and you dont want your pepper in the shade.
    Peppers love sun more than tomatoes too.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

do I need to go back and mix the entire bed?

You'll have much better results if you do. Plants don't grow in layers but send out roots all through the bed at all levels. So you'll have better nutrient access for them as well as better drainage.

Dave

• junktruck
    14 years ago

yeah maters and peppers grow good together been doing it for yrs / i even throw in some green onion and basil / i would work the soil and get it mixed up good

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

Every time I try to do it, the tomatoes grow bigger than I thought they would and completely shade out the pepper plants, and I get few to no peppers. I have also learned that peppers are very happy being closely planted with each other. Rather than intermix them, I think it works better to cram all the peppers on one end, and space the tomatoes out in the rest of the bed.

Carla in Sac

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I would plant peppers on the NW side so they will get direct sun from noon-ish on. Peppers should be grown in pairs. I always end up with two plants to a pot and leave them together when transplanting into the garden. They help support each other. You might even want to tie them together at some point.

• homegardenpa
    14 years ago

I've grown tomatoes and peppers together for years with no issue, although, I've found that my peppers do MUCH better when in containers. I guess with my zone it takes too long to heat up and I usually only get moderate to good production fairly late season.

I get earlier and more production in containers for peppers - and usually the opposite for tomatoes... Go figure.

P.S. - Since peppers and tomatoes are from the same family of plants, I've heard a good few funny myths about planting them together, my favorite one being: "Oh, you planted hot peppers next to your tomatoes, isn't that going to make the tomatoes hot, too?" :)

• jen_d
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@everyone: Wonderful! I had initially planned to do tomato/pepper/tomato/pepper but will re-work the planting arrangement. I did notice the big size difference while browsing seedlings but didn't realize the maters could get in the way of my peppers enough to hurt production.

I will also make sure to mix the soil/compost well. So far the only bed that has been planted has been the artichokes and I've been assured they are tough to kill.

@homegardenpa: I'd heard the same thing about hot and sweet peppers and believed it *blush* until I started looking into planting them. ;)

Thanks!

• collinjones45
    8 years ago

I plant our peppers east all the way around to west-16" spacing from the caged tomatos. High desert nuclear sun is not the same as the normal idea of full sun. Along with the planting method I partially shade everything but the corn.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

I wouldn't plant peppers in the same bed as indeterminate tomatoes simply because the tomatoes get huge... it is like trying to grow something under a tree. And peppers need as much sun as they can get. My okra was a total fail this year because they are in full shade under the tomatoes.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    8 years ago

Not so, Grasshopper. Peppers do NOT need as much sun as they can get (south of New York!). Peppers (sweet) here seem to do well when planted in an intensively crowded plot with lots of mutual shading. One batch of nine bells grew up in a thicket of favas and did gangbusters until the heat eventually zapped the favas and the peppers started to sun scald. Eventually I woke up, did a full dope slap, and screened them from the sun with cloth, but they never fully recovered.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

I should have said I was speaking of my garden specifically....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting