Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
number2_gw

Planting Suggestion for Diff Tomato Varieties

number2
10 years ago

I generally start my own tomato seeds but this year I got lazy and bought a whole bunch (probably too much) of different tomato varieties from a nearby nursery. Most of them I haven't grown before except Sungold, Roma, Early Girl and Sweet 100.

I have limited space and the light/moisture level varies greatly across the space. I want to get the highest yield possible from the best/better tomatoe. I plan to put a few plants in pot but would like to know which varieties work better for container.

Black Krim
Black Cherry
Black Prince
Sukura
Stupice
Roma
Early Girl
Sweet 100
Yellow Pear
Sun Cherry
Sun Gold - I grew this before in the shader part of my raised bed, it still produced but obviously not as productive

Any thoughts around how the varieties compare in term of
(1) quality of fruit
(2) tolerance for some shade
(3) tolerance for less/more water
(4) suitable for container

I am so excited to plant them out soon. Thanks everyone in advance!

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

What size container? That will determine which will work better and which will not.

Grown all but Sakura so can't help with it. If space is limited then I would forget the Early Girl, the Roma and definitely the Yellow Pear should be pitched. They are the worst quality of fruit ones. If you want to grow them stick them in the worst locations.

Black Krim, Black Cherry, and Sun Gold would get the ideal locations in my garden if I had to parcel out locations for some reason with Black Prince the 4th choice.

Water needs are uniform for tomatoes. Lack of tolerance for shade/need for sun is also uniform.

Stupice is an early just ok, not great variety but it is early so worth growing for that reason alone.

Sun Gold, Sweet 100, and Sun Cherry will be the biggest plants on your list IME.

Dave

• number2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, thanks for the suggestion!

I was not big on Sukura when I read the plant description but for whatever reason my partner in crime thought the name is cool and just had to get it.

I have a few 4-5 gallon pots and two earth pots. However, I plan to use the earth pots for the cucumber, and not sure if I can still fit a small tomatoe (maybe the Roma since it's determinate type) in each of the earth pots - any thoughts? Light with the containers will not be a problem since I can move them to the brightest part of the garden.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Well 4-5 gallons is usually considered too small for any tomato plant except maybe for one of the dwarfs. I know some have some success with 5 gallon buckets when they turn them into SWCs or use drip systems and a determinate variety but it is much extra work and in your zone even more. The potential for real success with tomato plants in small containers is so unlikely it really isn't worth the work IMO.

In most of the discussions here about container growing you'll find most recommend 8-10 gallon as a minimum for best results with even bigger preferred. It all depends on how you define success, what you are willing to accept for results given the work involved.

Don't know what you mean by earth pots? But I sure can't see a tomato plant in with a cuke unless they are even bigger than 10 gallons or you are using one of the small bush cukes.

Using proper sized containers for tomatoes and not over-crowding plants can increase your production 10 fold.

Dave

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz