Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe it's just my imagination

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 16:35

but it seems like the first one or two tomatoes of the season taste kind of bland. After that, the rest are great. It doesn't seem to matter what the variety is. Maybe my expectations are too high at first.

Or maybe it takes a while for my taste buds to get over the shock of actual...flavor!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe it's just my imagination

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday while eating my first Sungolds and Sweet Million. But then again when there are more to pick I let them sit on the vine a little longer and eat them when they are a bit riper.

Perhaps I'm just in to much of a hurry to pick the first ones.

o

it's because the weather is cooler generally while the first one is finishing up. Once the nights totally stay above 50 degrees, then they'll taste better. They do that in fall too.

o

All the spring rains dilute the flavor too and as the plant matures so does its circulatory system.

Dave

o

Absolutely agree, that's been my experience as well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here