Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onederw

Grafted Brandywine

onederw
11 years ago

Just paid a bundle (almost $16) for a very healthy looking grafted Brandywine plant. As directed, I didn't plant it deep (or else it would send out roots above the graft).
I've had little luck with ungrafted Brandywines--they start out great but seem to get every disease known to man or beast. Does anyone have any experience with these grafted ones? Are they better, or have I just learned a (very expensive) lesson?

Kay

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Kay, the main reason that a few folks buy grafted varieties is if they have systemic soilborne diseases where they garden. The most prevalent tomato diseases are the foliage diseases and the various rootstocks used don't have any tolerance, not resistance, against the common foliage diseases.

There have been quite a few threads at various sites about grafted plants from the time that Territorial first started offering them for sale, and now several places do.And there are some individuals who are doing their own grafting and if youj do a search here I'm sure you'll find threads about those here at GW as well.

Dr. David Francis at Ohio State U has done many trials with different rootstocks and has said that using the variety Celebrity F1 is just about as good.

So, if you know which soilborne diseases are present where you garden and you know what the specific rootstock was used for the plant you bought, that might help since once knowing the specific rootstock you can Google it and find out which tolerances it has, and I say tolerances, not resistances, b'c the degree of either is strongly affected by disease pressures, weather, and other variables.

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If you put 'grafted' in the forum search box at the bottom of the forum page you'll find several previous discussions on the value of grafted tomatoes.

Opinions vary on the value of using them. Personally I find them to be an expensive marketing gimmick but they may be worth it to you.

Dave

• thatmaterguy
    10 years ago

Frankly MY take is the grafted brandywines are not worth a hoot in a tin bucket...I have been growing tomatoes for years, 80 plus per year...so I thought, hey I'll give the grafted brandywines a try...thankfully I wasted money on only six of them...they just sit there...no buds, no growth and no tomatoes...by the way...my eighty others are doing fine and well thank you very much...stick with what I know...so I'll toddle on out, pull the non performers and find some other items to take up their useless spaces...