Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Damage

Posted by shadyrelief Md (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 16:43

Hello, it looks I got some cold damage this week on the tomatoes I planted last week. We hit at least 40, maybe lower and for a couple nights I think. Anyway, the leaves are showing a yellowing, kind of a mottling, looking really like a disease. I'm wondering if I should plant new all over again. These plants might be weakened and carry that on through. What do think? About nine plants. Thank you for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Damage

Your description does not sound like cold damage to me and honestly, 40 isn't all that bad. Not ideal of course but tolerable. The description sounds much more like either over-watering or some sort of nutrient issue to me. Can you post a pic of the plants in question?

It also doesn't sound like any diseases so the link posted above to generate personal blog hits serves no purpose.

Dave

o

I think they are goners ,better start again

o

Hi, I know 40 doesn't sound that bad, but it could have gone lower and probably did maybe for 3 nights. They were fine when they went in, only one week and did get possibly two inches of rain but very moderate and slow. The yellowing is all through the leaves bottom to top, kind of in a mottling or along the veins a fairly small proportion of the leaves, not the whole leaves. Sorry I don't have picks. I would assume they'll make it, but I know they are weakened and am afraid that will carry through and affect long term. It would cost $6 - $10 to replace them not too big a deal, but I would hate to throw the ones away. Thank you.

o

Then it is basically your choice. Still sounds like nutrient deficiency to me and a good feed will bounce most right back but can't say without seeing them.

Dave

o

It looks like they're going to stay in, the new growth looks good so I guess they'll be fine. I think it was a lot lower than 40 and for maybe 3 nights. I've got one Rutgers in the bunch and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here