Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juntawillow

Show pics of the best homemade or purchased tomato cages.

Looking for a new solution for our tomato cages. Can anyone post pics (or a good description) of tomato cages that 'work' well? Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Korney and several others of us have posted many great pics here in the past of their cages. A search of 'cages' should pull them up for you. I'll see if I can link some of them for you.

Here is one of some of mine from several years back.

{{gwi:8327}}

They were made of galvanized fencing with strategic placed 4x4" holes cut in it. 5' tall and 30" in diameter.

My CRW cages look similar and are 6' tall and 32" in diameter.

Dave

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Here is one of the many threads here with pics of various cages in it including Korney's.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Cages' pics

• lehua49
    13 years ago

JW,

This is the cage material I am experimenting with this year. Of course I am growing only two tomatoe plants in one ET. A modest experiment but delicious none the less.

Aloha from NOLA

• Edymnion
    13 years ago

I'm using "The Ultomato" cage this year. Store bought from Walmart, they're all over amazon as well.

Basically its three plastic coated metal rods with clip on crossbars that make up the cage. You can snap the crossbars on at any height you want so you can support whatever limbs need it most.

Best part is you can easily assemble one around an established plant without having to try and feed it through one of those wire hoops, you can just build it around the plant.

For $10, its a lot better than I expected. Bought some for my tomatoes, and for the grape vines I just planted.

• John A
    13 years ago

I use galvanized fence just as a straight fence, then weave the plants through the openings as they grow. It works fine and doesn't rust like CRW.
    John A

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I have the square tomatoe cages from Gardeners Supply. They run 4 in a set for 46.95. By the end of the season, my tomatoes in homemade self watering containers grow up two sets and then trail back down sometimes all the way to my deck.

I like that they don't rust, they stack nicely on top of each other and they store pretty much flat. I have 16 of them that I have had for about the past 5 years and I have been very happy with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardener's Supply Tomato Cages

• veggiegal1
    11 years ago

I saw one I want to try this year that is made with pvc pipe and electrical conduit. It would weather good and they come apart easy for storage as well as have an awesome way to water and fertilize. It was called the indistructible tomato cage.

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

This is what I use $2.98 /EA-Each
    One lasts me the season.

Stores easily.

Check the link below for more,,,

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical String method

This post was edited by gumby_ct on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:08

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

For the first time last year, I used Texas Tomato Cages in 25-gallon Smart Pots, and didn't prune. It worked very well. Here are a couple photos. Mortgage Lifter-Estler's at front left, Earl's Faux at front, right. Behind them are Kosovo, Omar's Lebanese, Cherokee Purple, and Goose Creek. All except the Omar's Lebanese (a complete dud in my garden) produced very well. I had less disease than when I used stakes. By final harvest in September, most had climbed over the top of the 6-foot cages and were a couple feet on they're way back down.

Three weeks from planting out, June 8, 2012:

Six weeks from planting out, July 1, 2012 (Mortgage Lifter in forefront):

{{gwi:30693}}

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Here's how I do it. Just PVC. Cuts and handles easily.

They disassemble and you can store them in a a very small space.

Follow the link for full instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: QA_Guy's PVC cage page