Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finches (?) eating young tomato plants

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 17:41

Do house finches eat young tomato plants? My new plantings are being consumed by some unknown critter. It's not hornworms, insects, or snails/slugs. I figure it must be house finches. Anyone see this happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finches (?) eating young tomato plants

How tall are (were) the tomato plants? What parts were eaten?

Any rabbits in the neighborhood?

o

Rats can also do that.

o

I've seen Starlings attack my neighbor's tomato plants by plucking off the main stems. My neighbor put her plants at a very young age.

o

Birds will definitely get your tomatoes, especially the smaller ones. I'm learning that some of what I had blamed on birds was actually the doing of ants who will saw them down like a beaver and make off with the whole thing overnight. No shortage of things that will go at them.

o

The majority of mine just got nipped off at the top, darn it all. I've babied those little seedlings for months, and now that I'm starting to harden the off, there they go. How do you manage this if something is getting them?? They're several inches tall so I don't think it's wise to cover them.... Any ideas?

o

I cover my seedlings with bird netting. When they get a little bigger birds are no longer an issue in my conditions. Then I have to deal with rabbits mice and other critters.

Zeuspaul

o

Zeusau, the netting doesn't create dimness for the seedlings? At this point I know it's important that they get all the light they can...

o

Put collars down for the crawlers and over the top you can put anything. I just happened to have a lot of scavenged quarter and half inch hardware cloth so have made some little covers with the stuff and some dikes. Seems to work ok.

EDIT PS: It's not perfect; I still manage to feed lots of critters.

This post was edited by cold_weather_is_evil on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 16:54

o

• Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 19:35

I found the culprits -- quail. Some small poultry netting cages solved the issue.

o

Sjerin, bird netting lets almost all of the sun through. If it had a shade rating it would be less than five percent.

Zeuspaul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here