Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgtribble

Tomatoes Purple & Drooping

bgtribble
10 years ago

I'm having some trouble with my tomato seedlings, and I've been scratching my head trying to figure out if they're unhealthy or if they'll just pull out of it on their own. The undersides and veins of the leaves are purple, and the stem seems particularly weak. As you can see in the picture, they just sort of sag every which way. Only one of them - the oldest - seems to have a straight, strong stem.

I read that the purple coloring may be caused by a phosphorus deficiency, so I gave them a very diluted shot of fertilizer high in phosphorus about a week ago. They seem slightly improved. I've also raised the lights to about 6 inches and reduced the time from 16 to 14 hours because I thought the heat from the bulbs (four T5s) might be too much for them up close or they were getting too much light.

They also have a fan running on them about 18 hours a day, and I've used cinnamon and chamomile to prevent damping off. The eggplants and peppers under the same system, same potting mix, etc. seem to be doing just fine.

The only thing I can guess is that they've been overfertilized or overwatered. Anyone have any guesses?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor