Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need an ID-please.

Posted by scorpgirl24 z7NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 17:52

Got these 2 tomatoes from work. I'm planning on saving the seeds.
Can anyone help with an ID?
The one on the left is larger and yellow/orange, with more orange at the stem end.
The other I believe to be Carbon or Cherokee Purple.
It is a dark red/purple with green/purple shoulders.
Thanks so much.
Jo

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need an ID-please.

I know I can't help with an ID.

There are about 7,000 varieties now that are available commercially, and once a tomato variety becomes separated from its ID I don't think there's any way to ID a variety from a picture.

Since Cherokee Purple usually has green shoulders and the fruit you show doesn't, I'd rule out CP. But there are well over several hundred others to chose from, see the link below from Tania's site.

I'm not suggesting you go down through that list and look at each and every one, it's just a way of letting you know that the one on the right could be anything.

Same for the one on the left IMO had I chosen to link to the orange/gold/ yellow ones at her site.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Tomato varieties

o

Thanks-I'm going to plant them regardless of variety. I thought it would be nice to know, but not absolutely necessary.
I will check the link, thanks again!
Jo

o

Either one could be one of 200 or more varieties. Can't the source person provide any info?

Dave

o

They were in a mixed heirloom case. I guess I could call the purveyor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here