Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tomatoes leaves turning brownish/wilting

Posted by surf1 South FL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:55

Wife got some of those miracle grow "gro-ables", they come in like a pod thing that you just plant in the soil. So we got some pots and planted them about a month ago. The Cherry tomato plant has shot up pretty fast and the flowers are just starting to bud yellow at the top. However a lot of the leaves have like a brown stain mark if that makes sense, some wilted leaves even towards middle/top, and dead ones at the bottom. I'm assuming I have to put this in a bigger pot now, but also there's nothing about watering them or anything, gro-ables package just says water, that's it. Not how much, not how many days. So I've been watering daily till water drips out of the bottom of the pot drain. Also I've been moving them inside the FL room at night. I just wanted to grow these cherry tomatoes, basil, and cilantro and beginning to think it's too complicated/hassle vs buying at the store lol. I read it could be fungus, or too much water, well it's FL so if it rains it's gonna get dumped on by water.

photo links since this forum would only attach 1 pic
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/20140424_172400_zpsv0aoy3sk.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/20140424_095537_zps8uq61dvy.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/20140424_095532_zpsur4cuh7t.jpg

Attached some pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tomatoes leaves turning brownish/wilting

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 18:57

Your pics:

photo 20140424_172400_zpsv0aoy3sk.jpg

photo 20140424_095537_zps8uq61dvy.jpg

photo 20140424_095532_zpsur4cuh7t.jpg

Septoria Leaf spot, one of the two most common tomato diseases. Treatment is to strip off all the affected foliage and dispose of it in plastic trash bag and begin a regular spraying program with a recommended fungicide.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Septoria info links

o

Thanks, do you think I need a bigger pot as well? And what about watering, I water the tomato, basil, and cilantro everyday in the morning until water comes out the bottom draining, and then place in the sun. There is no info from miracle gro, even on the pods it just says to "water" lol.

And do i cut the stems, or just remove the leaves from the stems? Thanks!

This post was edited by surf1 on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 21:30

o

I think you need bigger pots, Also You shouldn't have to water every day twice a week should be good as long as their getting about an inch of rain or water, If your putting too much nitrogen on them they might be burning.

o

Second pic also shows that you have leaf miners. Maybe they are carriers of the Septoria, I don't know.

o

About removing the leaves: tomatoes have compound leaves, so what you think are leaves are probably the several leaflets which make up an individual leaf. You should remove whichever parts are diseased.

Indeterminates have this growth pattern on the main stem: 3 leaves, then a flower truss, 3 leaves, then a flower truss, etc. But just to make things complicated, a new stem (sometimes called a "sucker"), grows in the juncture between the stem and the leaf -- and this new stem follows the same growth pattern.

===

How large is the pot your tomato is in? Is there anywhere the tomato could be planted in the ground, or are we talking larger pots here?

It looks like Miracle Gro doesn't identify the tomato variety in their cherry tomato pods. Most cherries are indeterminates (sometimes called "vines" -- as opposed to the determinate or "bush" varieties). Indeterminate tomatoes are often on the "more vigorous" end of the tomato scale, and would be expected to grow to 8' tall or so. (Depending on the weather in your part of Florida, your tomatoes may give up when the weather gets too hot; I live in a different climate and can't say more about Florida weather.)

Hm -- looks like you have multiple tomato plants in that pot? How many are there?

o

It was one gro-able pod which I assume has multiple seedlings? These things www.groables.com

Not sure of the pot sizes, wife bought them, I'll have to check into morning to see if there a number listed or measure them. But their not big. No where to plant in ground as our back is all deck and rock, no dirt. I think they said these plants get to 3 ft high, but not sure if my wife meant gro-ables or cherry tomatoes in general. Didn't realize how complicated gardening is, now I read I have to monitor ph levels lol. I live in South FL so it's hot, but that's why I don't know how much to water, like this week is no rain, but next week may storm every day.

So to remove the leaves, just pull away from the stem or cut the step with the leaf?

This post was edited by surf1 on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 0:03

o

Ok pot are 17.6 x 20.3 x 20.3, all three plants (cherry tomato, basil, cilantro are in the same pots).

I read to trim/remove the infected parts, and put mulch on top of the soil to stop splashing. Still have no clue on water, I keep reading online and there could be 10 answers all different ranging from just a tiny bit of water, to filling till the soil is soggy and water is draining out which is what I've been doing). The bottom half growth of the tomato plant makes like a U shape back towards the soil which I'm guessing is picking up the fungus.

Still not sure on spray, been browsing on here for the last hour or two and online and can't find anything, see some mention of copper but then everyone says not to use copper as it's toxic, some use milk but most sya that doesn't work and just stalls it, baking soda, soap etc. Looked up Septoria sprays online and found basically nothing, even on amazon only thing that shows up are books.

I caught a caterpillar that munched the heck out of my basil. Is there a general spray I should be using on all the plants?

o

bumpity... hey guys hope someone can answer the questions I have above. Thanks again!

o

They might do better if you put them in separate pots. I haven't successfully grown basil at all, but think it likes it warm like tomatoes, so you could leave it in the pot with cherry tomato but it wants more nitrogen, since what you're harvesting are the leaves. Keep it pruned so it will get bushy. Looks like you already have a pot with some basil.

Cilantro is a cool-season crop that wants to bolt right away, so definitely put that in a different pot. You might want to get some seeds and keep sowing them (cover lightly with potting mix - they're small) in a shallow container to have it by the time your tomatoes are ready, if you're thinking of making salsa. Cilantro also likes it a bit drier than basil. I was lucky and mine naturalized last year, I didn't have to plant, but this year I may have to (ASAP) as it looks like DH has dug up that bed and probably buried whatever seeds fell off too deeply. Luckily I harvested some seeds last year.

That pot is a good size for the cherry tomato - won't need as much N as the greens but you will want to try to fertilize with diluted "bloom booster" type fertilizer when you do water. You could try some fish emulsion. Pick the lower leaves off (just pinch with your thumbnail where the truss meets the main stem, you don't want to pull and peel it down the stem, if you have to just wiggle it back and forth sideways and it will snap off) and try not to splash when you water - that pot's a bit large to bottom water but if you can lift it, try to put it in a 5 gal bucket or brand-new oil change pan or something that the bottom will fit in, water from the top but let the bottom sit in the water a bit if it runs right through, it will soak it back in, then when it's heavy take it out and put it on a surface that won't be damaged by the damp.

I don't think you really need to spray anything yet - IMO not worth buying spray for 1 plant. You can get a spray with Bt in it for the caterpillars.

o

All 3 are in separate pots, wifes at the store picking some bigger ones up, as we have peppers and spinach to plant. Cilantro will stay in the small red pot as I don't think it'll get much bigger from what I'm reading.

I'm trying to figure out what spray or product to use though since the tomato plant has septoria and leaf miners. All the reading I've done though and can't find anything that says what to use except some say milk for leaf miners but that sounds odd to me as milk in a spray bottle is going to go bad and not sure how that will help a plant. And for septoria there is so much info on it but nothing really how to cure it except the few things I read that gave a cure just said use a fungicide but not specifically which one as some say this product and that product etc don't work, but not saying which will lol?!? Basil has some brown spots but now I understand that's from overhead watering in a hot place like South FL.

o

Sorry, I misread that all 3 were in the same pot, not same sized pots.

Cilantro gets about a foot tall in my garden but may not in a pot, esp. in your heat. Best to move that to a shady area. Sounds like basil could do with less sun too (and in picture looks wilted a little, maybe it needed watering then).

Leaf miners shouldn't do serious damage to the tomato. How bad is the septoria? If that's not basil in the bottom of the tomato pot, then you've got some very low-hanging trusses that should be removed. And it looks like 4 main stems?? How many plants in the tomato pot?

The first link on the page Dave gave was to Cornell - they say use fungicides containing maneb, mancozeb, chlorothalonil, or benomyl. University of Maine gives some brand names - Daconil is one that I've heard spoken of highly, though I grow organically so have only used copper (probably too little too late).

Is it very humid there? Septoria really only likes it in about the 70's for temps, and 100% RH. I'd think that it would be getting hotter (if not dry) in FL by now, so removing the affected foliage, separating the plants (if multiples, may have to cut a couple off if too big to separate), bottom watering or carefully watering at the soil surface and not the leaves, and allowing plenty of sun and good air flow would go a long way toward controlling it.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of Maine septoria page

o

Thank you. Yeh it's getting hotter here entering into Summer, and humid. I'll attach some pics as I think teh Septoria is getting worse. There's 5 main stems and one or two look bag, like even the stem is turning the off gray/blackish color and that's also the one where the flowers just die and fall off where as the other side you can see the flowers in yellow and starting to bloom. Not sure if when i move it to the larger pot, should i just cut off that stem and throw it away? I'll look into copper as I saw people recommend that.

photo 20140501_185456_zps0mqfxkf2.jpg
 photo 20140501_185511_zpsxv5gj0bi.jpg
 photo 20140501_185551_zpsrcy7xdtn.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here