Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone heard of Momotaro Gold?

Posted by Need2SeeGreen 22-24or10(LosAngCA) (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 18:11

I ask b/c a friend came home from Tomatomania with one, and somewhere or other, I had gotten the idea that it was a determinate.

Then, this weekend I saw it has 2 little toms on it, even though it is only about 1-1/2 feet high, and I was panicking.

Then I saw here that Momotaro (regular?) is an indeterminate. So would that make Momotaro Gold most likely indeterminate as well?

I don't know that there'd be anything I could do about it if it were a determinate - you get what you get, right? But if it's indeterminate that would be nice. (I am still a wee bit worried that maybe we started too early.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone heard of Momotaro Gold?

I didn't know there was a Momotaro Gold as there is Momotaro F1 so below I did a Google search and I'm sure by reading the links you'll find what the plant habit is.

I assume that the MGold is also an F1 from all the Japanese links there are,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Momotaro Gold

o

Here is the relevant info translated from the breeder Takii Seed:
Nutrient rich takii hybrid tomatoes
peaches taro gold ® momotaro PVP YE004
make easy orange-yellow!

Delivery of standard seed: 18 tablets 1 bag 1 bag 1000 grains

a vivid orange-yellow fruit colour features, perfect for colorful cuisine. Than the lycopene contained in traditional pink species-rich lycopene CIS-that is easily absorbed into the body.

Meek vigor and overall excellent result so easy to make. Average fruit weight 210-220 g disease resistance :Tm-2a.F1.F2.V.LS.N

rootstock 2A :Tm--MILF stage: early

Takii mating momotaro gold tomatoes

I am not completely sure but this was a sales page and "rootstock" might be referring to availability of grafted seedlings. Grafted plants are common in Asia.

nothing about "determinate" only "meek vigor"
which could be interpreted relevant to rootstock/scion performance (controlled growth of the scion match is key - you want them producing fruit not lots of foliage and vine)

o

Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here