Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faintlymacabre

Sungold & Supersweet 100 - tell apart?

quimoi
9 years ago

This may be hopeless, but when I transplanted my little Sungold and Supersweet 100 seedlings, I confused them. They look pretty much identical but maybe someone knows of a difference?

The one I think is Sungold seems to have very slightly broader cotyledon leaves and the other one's look a little narrower.

I guess it doesn't matter too much but I would like to know. I wasn't feeling well when I finished transplanting and that's what I get! Thanks if anyone can help.

(Any tips on what plant food to give them? I haven't started them myself for years. I only have a few but I have 5 kinds.)

Diana

Comments (5)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Sungold has a distinctive smell to the leaves, so that may help you, depending on how big your plants are. Otherwise you will have to wait and see whether the tomatoes are red or orange to tell the difference.

Linda

• quimoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. After "petting" several plants, I think I have the Sungold labeled correctly. It does seem to smell different.

I really appreciate it. It may not have made a difference in where we planted them, but I'm not sure. Yes, I think I could have guessed if they got tomatoes ;)

Diana

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

I don't have much to add other than you will know when they produce fruit ;-)

• quimoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And if they don't produce fruit, it doesn't really matter :)

Seriously, she's right. The one does smell different.

The stake fell out of the row of SS100 early on and when we found it, I didn't replace it. I wasn't feeling well yesterday when I finished transplanting and when I yanked them out of the little flat, I realized the stake was loose and didn't know which row it had come from. At first I thought it went with one, but then I thought I could see the indent at the head of the other row. Anyway, that's what happened and the row with the indent seems to be Sungold.

I've been using Peters 20-20-20 on everything. I grew Brandywine, Black Krim, Maskotka and these 2. All new but the SS100 so we'll see.

Diana

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Now that this topic is being discussed , I have a related side question:

IF YOU HAD TO GROW JUST ONE OF THE TWO, WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE ?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022