Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodge59

Tomatoes 2013

dodge59
11 years ago

Rather than going to the end of the 2012 post, I figgered I would start a new thread.

Here's what I just received from Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants.
(Yep they are all plants, and they look GREAT!!

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Krim
Brandywine Red Landis Valley STR
Cuostralee
Giant Belgium
Hillbilly
Green Giant
Neves Azorean Red
Sunset Red Horizon
Brown Derby
Bloody Butcher
Oaxacan Jewel
Stupice

My wife's sister bought these for my wife at the Fullerton Arboretum

Burpee Big Boy
Abraham Lincoln
Valley Girl
Box Car Willie

Here's to a successful 2013 Season!

Gary

Comments (14)

• pasco
    11 years ago

this years list:
    Cour di Bue
    Pantano Romanesco
    Red Pear
    Chianti Rose
    Pineapple
    Hillbilly
    Brandywine
    San Marzano Lungo No. 2
    Glacier
    sungold

All are up and running, about 5wks till they go in the gardens.

• ladon
    11 years ago

I also purchased my plants from Laurel. Love her!!.....

Cherokee Purple
    Paul Robeson
    Black Krim
    Hawaiian Pineapple
    Anna Russian
    Oaxacan Jewel
    Blood Gulch
    Chocolate Stripes
    Purple Haze
    Mortgage Lifter
    Sungold
    Green Zebra
    Stupice
    ....Very excited for 2013.
    Happy growing everyone,
    Don

• Djole
    11 years ago

From T&M:

Sungold F1
    Gardenberry / Berry F1
    Rosada F1
    Rainbow Blend (Katiebell, Liziebell, Flamingo and forgot the 4th variety)
    Black Cherry
    Gardener's Delight
    Black Russian
    Brandywine PL

Good luck to all!

Cheers,
    Djole

• qaguy
    11 years ago

From Burkard's in Pasadena - Frank has a wonderful selection of tomatoes.

Brandywine (Sudduth)
    Cherokee Purple
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Lemon Boy
    Super Sweet 100
    Momotaro
    Better Boy
    Italian Heritage

plus an unnamed cherry from mjhuntingdonbeach

The link below takes you to the thread about this tomato.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to unnamed cherry thread

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Mike named it Selbo's Red Ribbed and it's being grown by one of the persons who does seed production for me for this season,

For this season I've received the most varieties ever of ones new to all or most. Of the about 70 new ones Freda will be growing about 20 for me here in the backyard, ones that I preferred to grow here at home, and more importantly ones for which there were enough seeds.

And that b'c I have to send seeds of varieties to Craig LeHoullier in Raleigh who raises my plants for me and ships them up here and then seeds to the person who is doing the seed production.

I am so hoping that this season will be better than the last three here at home, specifically, last year From 30 plants I got a few fruits, three different red cherries, and that was it.

However someone sent me a huge box of lucious fruits last summer and someone gifted me with several Dester fruits and I was able to ferment the seeds for those, which is hard to do when one has to keep hands on the walker handles. ( smile)

But this is also the second year that I'm mentoring a young man who is just getting into heirloom varieties, I've furnished him with seeds for close to 100 varieties now, and I'm sure I can get him to at least give me some fruits just for eating if things go well.

I already get some great pastel colored eggs from him and today he'll be here to bring me some chinese food and some sleeves of diet pepsi and more to thepoint to pick up seeds of Pink Bumble Bee and Purple Bumble Bee and Sunol, which were rather late arrivals , but still in time to be sowed here in the tundra.

The three I just mentioned were bred by Fred Hempel in CA who also did Blush and Maglia Rose and Lucinda, all of which I've grown, and he now has these Bee ones as well as some tiger striped ones.And were kind of gifts from Fred for seeds of some heart varieties I sent to him.

Carolyn

• Cdon
    11 years ago

Grown from seed:
    Anna Russian
    Stupice
    Jaune Flamee
    Mortgage Lifter
    Chocolate Stripes
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Krim
    Prudens Purple
    Brandywine

Will grow from seedlings:
    Sungold
    Rutgers
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Green Zebra
    Black Prince

Will grow from seedlings if I can find them:
    Lucky Cross
    Carbon
    Indian Stripe
    Berkley Tie Dye
    German Johnson
    Black from Tula
    Neves Azorean Red

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

Kind of funny, after reading all these I was feeling kind of embarrassed by my lack of anything different, then my neighbors (yay the walkers are back!) came by and said they had been bragging on me to a newbie about what crazy varieties I grew last year.
    Cherokee Purple
    German Gold
    Black Krim
    St. Pierre
    Belgian Giant
    Brandywine red
    Delicious

Last year was great for some, mediocre for others and bad for the rest. The Belgian Giants did not overwhelm, but they kept on and on. They are working great for my soups.

• sue_ct
    11 years ago

so far I have:
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Estler's Mortgage Lifter
    Brandywine Sudduth
    Fish Lake Oxheart
    Linnies Oxheart
    German Red Strawberry
    Sophie's Choice (will probably go in a Pot)
    Wes
    Black Cherry
    Cherokee Purple Heart

I still plan to start (Guess I better get going):
    Kosovo
    Danko
    Orange Minsk
    Anna Russian

• pretty.gurl
    11 years ago

My seedlings:

Thessaloniki
    Green Zebra
    Black Krim
    Better Boy
    Earl of Edgecomb
    Sun Gold
    Black Pearl
    Golden Jubilee
    Patio Princess
    B. Long Keeper
    Rutgers

I have also included a link for my opinions on how each variety is doing so far. Better Boy is doing so well that I am thinking about starting more seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Tomato Seedlings

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

For those who want to see some different and some new to all varieties.PLease don't ask for seeds of the following b'c I don't have any and no waiting list either. It's a list of possibilities for an annual seed offer elsewhere as well as some possible SSE listings as well as distributing seeds of the ones that turn out to be really good, as I've done for many years, to the owners of certain seed sites for trial

Here's the list of what's being grow out this summer. No way to know what the results will be until the end of summer as to whether the plants flourished, what seed production was, etc. Of the ones listed I hope to grow about 20 here at home, well Freda does for me, and my choices were based on preference and seed amounts, seeds to the now four folks who do seed production for me took precedence.
    I apologize in advance if some variety names are not spelled correctly, but no way am I going back in that bag that has the original envelopes with seed packets with names on them right now. And I apologize to any of you if what you sent me isn't on the list. I now have four folks helping and we rotate every year as to who goes first and selects, then B goes. then C goes well, you get the picture.

Grandma Aiello's
    Unknown ( came as Black Cherokee Heart initially)
    Medovoe Serdtse
    Primorsky Pacug
    Brazilian Giant
    Turkish Ayla
    Istra
    Giroc
    Trusa Gora ( spelling ?, I have it but not here by the computer)
    Iva's Red Berry
    Orangevyi Velikan
    Sakarnyi Slon ( Sugary Elephant, gotta love it, LOL
    Mdme Garnier Rouge
    Denar
    Turkish ( from Victory Seeds)
    Lehrertomate
    Buddy Runyon
    King of Siberia
    Delano Green Ripe
    Loka (from Prison Market, Accra, Ghana, fruit pictures look great)
    Sakarya Pembisi
    Anna Margaret's Heart
    Pink Bumble Bee
    Purple Bumble Bee
    Normandia
    Heart Breaker
    Herodes
    Dixiewine
    Raspberry Miracle
    Sen-say
    Teton de Venus Blanc
    Kardinal Mazarini
    Austin's Black Cherry
    Selbo's Red Ribbed
    Moromskiy
    Rabideau
    Henryka
    Linhart's Giant
    Emmy
    Carolyn, who notes that there were a few varieties that more than one person wanted for seed production, so that's where the seeds went and I'd rather have more than one person growing a single variety rather than my growouts here at home, which has to be done by Freda, who does all my gardening for me now that I have to use a walker. Besides, the last three seasons here have been awful, OK lousy.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Yay, I didn't want to scroll to the end of last year's thread either. After all, it isn't 2012 anymore :)

Japanese Black Trifele
    Brandyboy
    Mariana (my experimental det sauce tomato)
    Princepe Borghese (impulse buy)
    Sungold
    Black Cherry
    Sweet Baby Girl

The last three are cherries, mostly to go to the restaurant, but I like eating them too. The PB I saw and remembered reading about so bought, then re-read that it is best for drying. I'll give it a whirl, though usually I just dry the extra cherries. Except for SBG these are all new to me, since you have to try them yourself to see if you like them. Wasn't impressed with any of my last year's selections other than SBG. Happy growing!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Caspian Pink
    Cherokee Green
    German Red Strawberry
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Marianna's Peace
    Matina
    Opalka for drying
    Riensentraube love the "bite" of this tiny tomato
    Selbo's Ribbed Cherry
    Sophie's Choice
    Stump of the World
    Sungold
    Sunsugar
    Whippersnapper

All started from seeds with about half of the varieties new to me this year. Still thinking of adding one standard hybrid, Jet Star, Celebrity or other, which I will pick up at a gardening center.

• emcd124
    11 years ago

Last year my favorites were Black from Tula and Green Zebra. This year trying all new ones.

I have all my toms wintersown, but so far no sprouts yet. Last year it worked great so I've got my fingers crossed that they'll peep any day now. here's what i've got started, and what i'll grow if they all work out (some will be in my home garden, some in my son's school garden, which is why the over selection of cherries):

Absinthe
    Blondkopfchen
    Cherokee Green Grape
    Cherokee Purple
    Choc Cherry
    Gold Medal
    Golden Dwarf Champion
    Love Apple
    Mexico Midget
    Super Sweet 100

• CathyCA SoCal
    11 years ago

Picked up plants today from Lauel's. They look sturdy and healthy. All new varieties for me:
    Legend
    Sun Gold
    Lime Green Salad
    Sprite
    Big Beef
    Cherokee Purple
    Sweet Baby Girl

I tried to find disease resistant plants along with some smaller ones for containers and sweet. Hope they will deliver.