Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone seen this before?

Posted by AndrewHallville none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 18:27

One of the limbs was going to fall over so one of the other limbs grabbed it to hold it up(it did end up falling because of a heavy tomato)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone seen this before?

I've seen a petiolule (which I hope is the correct term: the stem of a leaflet) twist around another petiolule or perhaps rachis. It seems to happen at inconvenient times (inconvenient for me, not the plant).

But I'm real sure the leaflet and/or petiolule had no intention of supporting the other compound leaf ... cause I really don't think tomato plants can think ... let alone tomato leaves.

I assume it's a built-in tendency of the petiolule to curve around anything it touches. That sort of thing is common to vining plants. Think morning glory stems, cucumber tendrils, etc.

o

That sort of thing is common to vining plants.

Agree. Vines will curl around all sorts of things, anything they can reach. And as a breeze brings them into contact with another branch they will twist and snag anyway they can.

Dave

o

triffids :-)

o

I don't know if this picture is clear but the plant is holding up the other branch. And I am very much aware leaves don't think.

o

It all goes back to Darwin's theory of "survival of the fitest." Tomato plants that are more errect get the most sun and therefore have a tendency to produce more and more viable seeds. This results in more survivability over time. These plants have developed a tendency to support their branches thus are more survivable.

Or, my own hypothesis is that the one holding up the other felt sorry for her and just tried to help. Don't laugh; there is no proof that tomato plants do not have feelings! You have to love them.

o

triffids? tap tap tap, is this thing on. Oh well, guess there no other old guys out there, or maybe it's just not that funny ;-/ Ed

o

Well I LAUGHED, anyway.
:)

Carla in Sac

o

Yes, was going to reply to 'triffids...having watched the body snatchers last night..all those lively gardens in sci-fi....and here we are...the first time I saw a tomato horn worm I was sure it came from another planet...cheers to the season..; - > Martha Zucchini

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here