Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's a tomatillo?

Posted by moraleagle none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 18:29

Hi can you plz explain what a tomatillo is, and if it will grow in MA? Also how does it taste and what are some good gardening tips? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's a tomatillo?

Here is what it says on Wikipedia

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatillo

o

Tomatillos are a tomato relative: small, round tomato-ish fruit which are generally green, yellow, or purple when ripe. The fruit are encased in papery husks (similar to ground cherries or Chinese lantern plants, if you're familiar with those). They are most often used in salsa.

Whether tomatillos can be grown in Massachusetts depends on the length of your growing season. Are you planting from seed or buying seedlings?

One of the most important things I can say is that you must plant at least two tomatillos to have any fruit, as the plants are not self-fertile. [They don't have to be different varieties, simply different plants.]

Some more resources for you:

http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/tomatillos/

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/tomatillo-growing-guide

o

Google has tons of info on tomatillos - how to grow them, different varieties, even recipes for using them. Check out all the pics of them linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Tomatillos

o

A farmer about 10 miles from me in NW CT grows them so I assume they will grow in MA as well.

o

Tomatillos are what makes green sauce tangy. You know when you go to a restaurant and they bring out bread or rolls or cheese biscuits? In Tex-Mex places, they bring out a tub of tortilla chips, a bowl of red sauce, and a bowl of green sauce.

Green sauce recipes are semi-unique to each restaurant. It's basically peppers, tomatillo, and avocado. More avocado when they are cheap, less in the off-season.

The tomatillo itself is a husked green fruit that tastes a little like a honeyed apple. I keep meaning to make tomatillo jam, but it all gets made into green sauce first.

I had fish tacos with green sauce for dinner tonight. Yum.

Oh, and thank you, missing, I was going to try growing them this year but didn't realize I needed two!

o

nialialea, as you're in Texas, you may have enough neighbors growing tomatillos that you could get by with a single plant -- the bees would do the cross-pollinating for you. But better safe than sorry!

o

Sadly, I think I'm the only edibles gardener around. Most of my neighbors have crews come in twice a month to mow the lawn and trim the Knockouts. If they garden, it's strictly ornamentals or maybe citrus/figs.

On the plus side, I can buy tomatillos and peppers at the grocery pretty much all year round! You only need about six tomatillos per green sauce batch, so I'm not sure two tomatillo plants would be the best use of my space. If they were harder to get around here, I'd plant them for sure.

o

Good info -- I'm growing tomatillos for the first time and didn't know I needed two, though I was planning on more anyway.

I'm not much of a guacamole fan, but I found a recipe that adds 8 tomatillo's in with a couple of avocados and it really lightens it up -- it's more like a salsa verde than traditional guac. Oh, summer can't come fast enough.

o

Yeah, that's green sauce. I would describe the flavor as a little sour and a little spicy, with more or less of an avocado taste depending on season.

Each restaurant makes it a little differently. Our favorite serves it with a side of pickled, coined vegetables -- jalapenos, carrots, onions - and the pickle, green sauce, tortilla chip combo is amazing.

I have a killer recipe I found in a community cookbook in Galveston a few years ago. I should make it more often but it's just so easy to get it's hard to make the effort.

Amazing on fish tacos, with tortilla chips, drizzled over bean soup. I may need to go out for lunch now.

o

Tomatillo seeds are super easy to save from a store-bought tomatillo. Find one that is a good size and flavor, rinse and dry the seeds, and you're done. I've had better results with my store-saved seeds than with the commercial seed packet that I bought.

Tomatillo plants get enormous. You need 2 plants as others have mentioned, and space could be an issue in a small garden. But the second plant doesn't have to be very big. It just needs a few blossoms on it for successful pollenation. Last year, I lost my 2nd tomatillo mid-season. I took some cuttings from a friend's tomatillo, and kept them alive in jars of water at the base of my remaining tomatillo for 2 months. They continued to produce blossoms, and I wound up with more tomatillos than I could use.

BTW, this avocado-tomatillo salsa recipe is the reason I grow tomatillos!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salsa de Tomatillo con Aguacate

o

From the gourmetsleuth.com link:

Tomatillos, pronounced [toh-MAH-tee-YO]

Please, say it this way: toh-mah-TEE-yoh

o

Salsa Verde is a beautiful thing. I have even had tomatillo seeds survive the winter and volunteer the next Spring.

o

I wintersowed them for the first time this year and three of them were up a good week before the first tomato sprouts. I hope they thrive. Can anyone point me to a safe canning recipe for salsa verde?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here