Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First year growing tomatoes- results

Posted by gelatodave NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 18:48

I am excited to share these pictures of my best tomato plants. I know they need to get in the ground now, but it is still cold in northern NJ. Next, year I will definitely start plants later. Only plant I am worried about is the "Golden Nugget." It looks a bit leggy. I will make sure to plant it deep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First year growing tomatoes- results

Yellow Pear

o

Golden Nugget

o

Supersweet 100

o

Brandywine

o
Super Snow White

Super Snow White

o

Lovely! You can be proud.

o

Very nice young grasshopper! What lights did you use? You have a fan of them? When you start them?

Thanks,
Joe

o

Thanks! I used Hydrofarm FLT24 2-Feet/4-Tube T5 light. No fan, but I brushed my hand through them everyday. Started in the 2nd week of March.

o

Looks fabulous, Gelato! First time, no less! :-D
Is it still cold in NJ? I was just telling my friend she picked an awesome month to visit NY.....guess not so much!

Grace

o

They look great! For the one that looks a little leggy, you can just plant it deep. You may have already heard this, but you should tear those peat pots off when you plant out.

o

I agree, you appear to be a natural. I don't think mine ever looked that good, and I've been at it a while.

o

Honestly, I couldn't have done it with out this forum. I followed a couple of simple rules, which I am sure you already know by now.

1. I planted "Botanical Interests" seeds. They were relatively inexpensive and I could't be happier with the results.

2. As soon as seedlings sprouted I put them under T5s for 18 hrs/day.

3. Did not over water.

4. Did not add fertilizer until true leaves emerged.

5. I didn't use a fan, which I regret, but I found by just slapping the stems everyday helped produce better root growth an vascularization.

6. I used 4" cow pots, which work great.

7. I use Fox Farm Ocean Soil

8. No heat mat

Now I am torn between using my plants that I grew from seed or using the 4 grafted tomatoes I ordered online which should be here any day now. Anyone have experience with g-tomatoes? Additionally, of the 6 tomato plants I posted. Which ones should I plant in my garden. I only have space for 4...

o

Fox farm, huh? good but expensive.. A fan does much more than beating them up, getting them stalky, it provides fresh co2, as well as reduce disease.. Also I wouldn't worry about a heat mat, I find them unnecessary, my seeds germinate in 2-3 days at room temp.. Yea, I swear by using big pots for the seedlings... You could probably cut the light down to 14-16 hours.. I plant my seedlings mid may, and the natural daylight is 14 hours, I try to keep them in rhythm, less jet lag and stress..

I would plant all them plants in the picture, it would be a shame wasting your time caring for them for nothing... Also the golden nugget is not leggy, some genes are just like that... How much was the grafts?

Keep up the good job,
Joe

Ps- just curious, what fertilizer did you use, fox farm?

o

This is my first time growing from seed and ive been using the fox farm ocean as well. Im pretty happy with it. I also mixed in extra perylite to help with drainage and ive been giving them small doses of fish emulsion once a week. I didnt think the price was too bad. I bought the 40qt (approximate) bags for around 12 bucks The peat pots have thier issues and i dont think i will use them again but im learning. For lights ive been using t8 daylight bulbs and keep a fan on them. Getting pretty excited about 3 weeks till they go in the ground.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 16:01

argh! so so jealous!

Still waiting on mine to "hatch" lol. put them into the paper towels saturday/sunday.

@:^(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here