Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnweh_gw

Zone 10 Tomatoes

johnweh
13 years ago

I'm looking for tomatoes & peppers that can be grown during the hot/humid South Florida summers. By May & June the varieties that I'm growing now will probably stop producing. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• organicislandfarmer
    13 years ago

tomatillos or varieties that come from mexico! June through august good luck. You will also need shade cloth and a good source of water.

• suddensam
    13 years ago

Im in Boynton Beach Fl. zone 10 and after these are done, at the best middle of June, im done until seeding up again about the 1st of Sept.

Cherokee Purple

Brandy Wine Black

Ive finally decided after being born and raised here that it is written somewhere that thou shall not raise tomatoes in the summer time. And it comes to pass that in June, July, August, and September the big guy sends the heat, rain, bugs, and every known fungus and disease known to mankind to take out my tomatos. So be it.
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

You all in Florida are so lucky to have two great growing seasons that most of us with only the one envy a great deal so I'd have to wonder why you'd want to focus on that one time of the year that you can't grow tomatoes and peppers. ;)

Even here hot humid mid-summer is tomato doldrums time. They just can't set fruit then. It is the nature of the plant. Hot peppers are more tolerant of it but high heat and humidity equals tacky pollen and Blossom Drop - just no real effective way around it.

Agree that shade cloth can help, so can hand pollination to a degree. But even with that there is no getting around the humidity. We just have to focus on keeping the plants going until the weather breaks and they can begin to set fruit once again.

Dave

• johnweh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've heard of a Florida everglades wild tomato that can be grown all year. Has anyone tried this?

• suddensam
    13 years ago

Dave, I agree with you that we are lucky to have two growing seasons. I think Johnweh was just testing the waters to see if there is a way to grow tomatos yr around that maybe he hadnt discovered yet. I dont blame him for trying, I was just letting him know that if theres a way I havent discovered it yet either. Two seasons is correct, I start seeds the end of Aug. (thats Florida's way of starting early) You have to hope for some cool weather in Oct tho. Find you a pumpkin stand and buy some hay for mulch. Its harder [for me]to grow tomatos the second season which is starting my seeds the first of Jan. April to me starts the fungus and disease time. I would say that growing on tables really helps with diseases and bugs. I have not had a bug problem this yr. Butttttttt the fungus is among us.
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I know what you mean Sam. I'd love to be able to grow tomatoes in January and February or even Oct. to Dec. But unfortunately it's a fact of like - some things just can't be done or could be but aren't worth the work. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Everglades tomato discussion

• organicislandfarmer
    13 years ago

Sam, you on facebook?
    I am one zone north and used to live in Palm Beach Fl. Now Merritt Island, I can start my seeds in July up here. the useful part of my container planting is that our short "winter" drives my plants into the garage and grow light till march when the last chance of frost is over. I start the cold weather plant seeds in November and the spring garden seeds start in Feb. That is my three seasons with June through August as grillin and surfing season!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: robs urban farm 2

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner