Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Seedlings Stronger or Die LOL

Posted by cebiginalaska 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 18:58

Hello Everybody I have been putting my seedlings outside for 1 to 2 hours a day in full sun when the temperature here is above freezing by a couple degrees. Was surprised to see a few more pop up that are sturdier than my first seedlings that germinated. They have thicker stems and they don't wave around when the fan is on them like the first ones that germinated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Seedlings Stronger or Die LOL

Here is a photo of the thermometer. Its been around that temp when I place them outside. They seem to be doing okay. These are the first seeds I have ever germinated and if they die I don't mind starting over. If they don't die when should I expect them to get their first true leaves? When should I transplant them to their own pots? What size pot to place them in?

o

It doesn't surprise me. The sun's radiation probably heats the soil a bit too. Just keep an eye on the thermometer :-)

o

I think that is a little too cold for them.

o

They will live, but they will be stunted. When I potted up I moved the extras outside to the coldframe which is much too cold, and they have hardly grown since while the others that i kept inside under proper conditions have tripled in size.

o

You accidentally wintersowed them. I do all mine that way and they look like that right now since they came up about a week ago when the weather warmed to the 60s.

By late May, however, when they've been in the ground for a bit, they'll take off and catch up. And yes, they're probably a little sturdier than the ones started inside. My brother starts his in a hot house and they're usually far bigger than mine when it's time to plant out. But last year we got our first ripe tomatoes in the same week.

o

I just planted some seeds outdoors in egg cartons. Will leave them out there and water when necessary so they can freeze over night and warm up during the day. We are might have some rain or snow tomorrow according to one forecast but another one says it will be clear. I think that I will cover them with saran wrap plastic over night in case we have some rain or snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here