Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

Black Prince Slow Grower?

gardenmommy_2010
13 years ago

Well, I started several different varieties this year, all at the same time, and Black Prince has been a really slow grower. It germinated at the same rate but took forever to grow its true leaves & has just been slow in general (all are about 1/2 the size of the others). Is it just me or that typical of Black Prince?

Incidently, Burgandy Traveler has been the fastest grower for me - my largest plants are all that variety. All the others have been typical - some bigger & some smaller but nothing noticeable. Except, Aunt Ruby German Green ALL look very healthy! They've all turned out great - look better than many of the plants at Home Depot & Walmart - but ARGG is noticeably green.

Just wondering if Black Prince is just slow for me & if this slow growth is typical - will it catch up eventually? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• lunita
    13 years ago

I planted 15 seedlings the other day -- the ones that were the biggest. Black Prince was the weakest/smallest of that batch. On the other hand, the fact that it was planted out meant that it was apparently faster-growing than a number of others that I still have in pots -- Hillbilly, Pineapple, Mortgage Lifter , German Red Strawberry, Flamme, Sweet Baby Girl (a hybrid), etc.

BTW, I'm totally serious about Yellow Brandywine. If you want one, email me or contact me through my blog and we can figure out how to get it to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• rod707
    13 years ago

I started 10 tomato seedlings in late Feb and am planting them tomorrow. My Black Princes turned out to be the largest and most robust of the bunch. My weakest was Pineapple. I had about 20 of them, but once I started hardening them, all but a few were in "ICU" after the first day and only about 3-4 are even worth planting. The Black Princes, meanwhile, took to the hardening process and adapted to their new environment just fine.

• Bets
    13 years ago

...but once I started hardening them, all but a few were in "ICU" after the first day...

Rod,

It sounds like you left them out too long, or in direct sunlight for too long the first day. Or did you hav wind or hail or some other natural disaster?

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardening Off and Physiological Changes

• hellbound
    13 years ago

i grew then last year and it only got about 4' tall and maybe produce 20 tomatoes before being fried by the az heat i decided to try again this year and it's allready over 4' and has 30 or 40 tomatoes on it no sure whats different same watering and fertalizing regiment i did move my tomatoes from one side of the garden to the other but they are the richest tastiest flavored tomato i've grown so despite last years low yeild i had to try again...

• nativewines
    13 years ago

I have about 12 varieties grown from seed and the black prince has done quite well for me. They seem to tolerate cool nights which is important for my situation. Right now they are about 18 inches tall in my unheated greenhouse-the low tonight is forecast at 20 deg. Ouch.
    I have noticed that the aphids seem to prefer the other types of tomatoes vs the more hairy black princes.

• monag5341
    9 years ago

What zone or part of the country are you? Planted Black Prince in a large container, and hope it does well. I'm in Denver, CO, zone 5A.

• jasper1949
    8 years ago

I live in central northern Ontario in about zone 4. I started 3 heritage types from seed in early April and plant in early June. As of today (Aug 11) all are doing great and the Black Prince have produced the most ripe tomatoes so far. I also grew Sandul Moldoven, Cherokee Purple and Brandywine and all do well this far north.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone