Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckydurazno

Cherry tomato that is very prolific and grows in a tree pattern

LuckyDurazno
9 years ago

A few years back we had a cherry tomato plant that produced a lot of tomatoes. It was and indeterminate plant because it had fruit at different stages of maturity.
The plant was very sturdy and could hold all the fruit, it looked like a tomato tree. the color was red, but close to orange, can someone tell me what variety that is?
The fruit looked like the sungold variety but it was a little bigger and more on the red color side.

Comments (20)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

First, fruits at all ages of maturity do not make the variety an indet, and if you say the plant was tree-like, meaning a Dwarf or det variety, it wouldn't be an indet.

I've t ried hard to figure out what you might be referring to but have not come up with any great insight.

Could you please share with us what you mean when you say the plant was tree-like?

I know some but then you say the fruits looked like Sungold F1, but a bit bigger and that doesn't go along with anything I've been thinking of either.

Do you remember where you got the seeds or bought the plant from?

Thanks,

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Off hand I can think of hundreds of possibilities that would fit the description of an indeterminate cherry that was red-orange and "sturdy". But none of them would look like a tree with a trunk unless someone pruned it to look that way. By nature they are big, wide, tall bushes with lots of branches.

Then there are the so-called Tree Tomatoes that aren't actually tomatoes at all. Type 'tree tomatoes' in the search box here for discussions about them.

As Carolyn said your description is just too vague to narrow it down to any one of the hundreds if not thousands of varieties out there.

Sorry.

Dave

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Sounds like a Husky Cherry Red to me.

If the plant was short as in 3 to 4 feet tall with thick main stems. Fruit set nearly every day even when near to 100 degrees. Fruit goes to red color that is to me closer to orange than red. I had 2 in the ground last year. Both set fruit all summer, and until the first frost. Neither need a cage. Both looked like a mini hedge. One did need a cane pole stake once it started setting lots of fruit.

• LuckyDurazno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I'll look Husky Cherry red up.
    I forgot to say the fruit is big about 1.5 to 2 inches diameter.
    Thanks!

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

If the fruits can grow up to 2 inches in size, then I don't really think that it's a cherry tomato variety.

For commercial standardization purposes I think I remember some sizes being specified for cherries, etc. but I don't want to get into a discussion of that, for several reasons.

As has been said above, from your description, there are hundreds, yea thousands of varieties that might be considered.

I had asked above if you remember where you got your seeds from, that might be a help, or even where you got your plant from.

Carolyn

9 years ago

Here is a pic of my Husky Cherry Red. I staked it to prevent the wind, and its weight from breaking the stems. The larger fruit that set on it get from an inch and half to a little fatter.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

I've grown Husky Red Cherry and I think an interesting story behind the whole Husky series first offered by Seminis Seeds.

The foliage was new to almost everyone being rugose and deep green and it was so different that the various ones in the series started dropping out due to lack of customer appeal.

Without confirming it I think that Husky Red Cherry is the only one left. with seeds being sold,

I just looked at Tania's page and there is a Husky Red, not Cherry, also listed but I forgot to see if seeds were still being sold, Or if I did remember I forgot it ASAP.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Some nurseries around here(Fred Myers/Kroger) selling actual plants. I read the tag the other day that said INDET, not saying how tall it can get. But now after seeing Centexan's picture, I think I can handle it at that size.

The mature plant I imagine must be very tree like as the seedling/plant had a THICK stem. It looked like some patio types in appearance. That was why I checked the tag to see if it was DET.
    I am getting one. I hope they are not sold out.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Please note from the link below that there are three Husky reds, some cherries,some F1's, and some of those are indet and some not.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Husky Red whatevers

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

For the last 3 years I've been buying the Bonnie Plants HCR, which are the two "topiary evergreens" in 4-gallon pots on my small front porch. (Of course, neither topiary nor evergreen.)

Grown under those conditions, the fruit max out at about 1 1/8". The narrow-ring cages are perfect in the pots, though sometimes it's necessary to add a 4' bamboo to support a tall stem.

I'm not too fond of cherries, but the HCR are so early and so prolific, so beautiful and foolproof, that I just keep planting them.... (And they survive the recently-constant Late Blight with regular pruning of affected leaves.)

The Bonnie tag calls them a hybrid indet.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

[GW hiccup?]

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Fri, May 9, 14 at 8:13

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

[Another hiccup.]

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Fri, May 9, 14 at 8:14

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

For the last 3 years I've been buying the Bonnie Plants HCR, which are the two "topiary evergreens" in 4-gallon pots on my small front porch. (Of course, neither topiary nor evergreen.)
    Grown under those conditions, the fruit max out at about 1 1/8". The narrow-ring cages are perfect in the pots, though sometimes it's necessary to add a 4' bamboo to support a tall stem.

I'm not too fond of cherries, but the HCR are so early and so prolific, so beautiful and foolproof, that I just keep planting them.... (And they survive the recently-constant Late Blight with regular pruning of affected leaves.)

The Bonnie tag calls them a hybrid indet.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I was going to buy a plant (HRC), despite the fact that I am full to the capacity. BUT the Bonnie plant (sold at HD) was TOO expensive ( $6.50 !). I have a lot of small fruit EARLY varieties already anyway.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Oh, not just weird but really weird! Now my repeating post is credited to DHLCAL too!

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

What the heck, I'll play this game as well and see if it posts and who it is credited to.

Carolyn

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

Yeah... well... that was me messing around, copying and pasting your repeating post. :)

9 years ago

I would have to wait till daylight when I get home from work tomorrow to see if the tag states that it is an indet. Mine have never gotten taller than about 3 feet tall. Also they come in basket container if you are willing to spend the cash for one. $15 and some change is not bad considering by the time one purchased the plant, potting mix, and the basket pot you would spend that much anyway. Also most of them are near to 2 feet tall with fruit setting on them already.

I planted one in the planter that had a Bush Goliath in it, and it was battered to smiterinees as Yosimite Sam would say. It despite being pruned so heavily still setting fruit. I have eaten at least 25 cherry tomatoes off of it. I have no clue as to the number my wife has beaten me to. Tomorrow I will get a pic of it. It should also show how the stem looks. I have not pruned a thing on that plant. It was a hail stone pruning.

Oh and seyson if you get the one gallon sized in the plastic pots ignore the DTM they put on there. I have seen many that already had fruit on them with tons of buds still forming. They will still grow while setting, and ripening fruit. The 4 inch ones that were $3.58 or so give or take a few cents grew like weeds. The pic of the plant I have posted was planted in ground the last week of March. It started setting fruit the Third week of April.

9 years ago

Due to some things going on I have not been able to take the pics, and give more info.

For information the plant is listed as indet. due to the fact that it will keep producing as long as temps are not too awful hot. (Over 95 days and nights of over 80)

I like them. No they are not my total faves, and they are not the greatest thing ever. They are however good, and they produce when the others have quit. My fist ripe fruits of the season came from them.

First pic is of the one that the hail storm pruned down to the stems.

9 years ago

Next is the one I brought home last night. The local BBS (Lowe's) had a one day sale on them so I brought one home with me.

In my honest opinion they are worth it even at the $15.95 or so full retail price as the plant, container, and potting mix would run near to that, and also many of them already have fruit set on them. My only complaint is that the planter tips over too easy in the wind. I use bricks around the bottom to stabilize them better.

Note the pepper plant next to it. It appears to be a mystery plant. My guess is either hbanero, or bell. The pods will tell me in a few days.